MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Execution Time required for IBM assembly lang instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikunj
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Execution Time required for IBM assembly lang instructions Reply with quote

Hi All,

The question is more from academic interest point of view. I am interested to know if there is any document or manual available which gives execution time required for all IBM assembly language instructions.

Regards

Nikunj Rolling Eyes
DaveyC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you have asked this question on another help board and the answer is the same, no. It is relative to the hardware that you are running.

For example, my small development shop runs an MP3000 with a CMOS card. A big site will run a Z/900. The difference in circuitry, chip density etc makes it almost impossible to predict the execution time of an instruction.

HTH...
Nikunj
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thank you, not only for your reply but also for remembering that the same question I had asked on the other board.Very Happy

You must be right that it depends on the circutary and hence it varies from machine to machine but I am particulary interested in OS-390 and hence all those instructions which are available in "Principles of Operation" manual. I am sure that the execution time for instructions on OS-390 must be the same across the board.

And again this question was from the academic interest so may not make much sense practically.

Thanks for your reply

Nikunj
DaveyC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sure that the execution time for instructions on OS-390 must be the same across the board.

Yet again, a big no. We used to run a P390 running OS/390. We upgraded to a Integrated Server running the same OS/390 and the performance increased by 70%. It is relative to the hardware, simple as that. The operating system is irrelevent. It's the same as upgrading from a P1 to a P4 chip. How could you possibly measure the execution time of an instruction ?

I'm closing this thread
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: