MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need guidance to choose the Career path for the next 5 years

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaya
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Need guidance to choose the Career path for the next 5 years Reply with quote

I am a mainframe professional with around 6 years of experience performing the role of a technical lead to co-ordinate mainframe support and enhancement projects in DB2/CICS and IDMS/ADSO technologies. In my organization, the next higher role and designation is that of a Project manager (minimum 8 year experience) whose role doesn't involve technical work. I am doing this co-ordinator role for the past 3 years in US and i see no major improvements on my technical or managerial skills. I would get settled in chennai next year.

What are the technical career paths available in mainframes to choose from and how to get myself prepared for the same in 2 years?

1. Can i do online DBA trainings in IDMS or DB2? Would that give me a better growth?

2. Should i do an executive MBA for a year in project management and do the role of a project manager more effeciently?

3. Can i become a buisness consultant? How do i prepare myself for it.

Currently i am more confident on my technical abilities than my managerial abilities. But i am one of those guys who is confident of succeeding any stream once i get the vision and spend quality time on it.
I wanted my skill set and knowledge to be in par with my professional experience. Right now, i am confused.. Please help.
Anuj Dhawan
Intermediate

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's little late to put in my thoughts here...still I'll give it a shot ...

To start with, this depends on what kind of bent of mind do you have, mainly. As you say
Quote:
Currently i am more confident on my technical abilities than my managerial abilities
and you've this question
Quote:
1. Can i do online DBA trainings in IDMS or DB2? Would that give me a better growth?
as well. Going for DBA training is not harmful but what do you want to be after taht...a(n) DBA for sure? If yes, that would largly depend where do you want to start with your new career... and I believe, India is not that good market for DBAs yet.

Last edited by Anuj Dhawan on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:13 am; edited 3 times in total
vjkumk
Beginner

Topics: 33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaya,

I could say that you should be a techno functional.Where you should be both strong on business side and technology.Being a techno functional, you can understand the business as well as the technical part where you can become a business consultant.If you are interested in insurance domain then you can go ahead and complete INS 21,22,23 and proceed to CPCU.

Once your career grows the verbal/Business communication takes priority compared to technical knowledge .I have seen many person at onsite who does not have much technical knowledge ,but good communication skills able to shine very well compared to their technical counter parts.

I too got 6 years of experience in mainframes.I still remember the days i use to post questions/Doubts in this forum on mainframes.

Even though my career is on mainframes ... It's a mixed bag.i have been a mainframe system tester,developer ...team lead,been a pure tester who deals with web testing.

I worked at onsite for a year where i got a chance to work closely with the client where we get the clear picture of requirements and we have the flexibility to work from home after 8 hours.

Since you said that you are at onsite and planning to move to offshore then you have to think the following..
(If you are going to stick in technical side)
1)Timings are not going to be 8 hrs for you.Its roughly going to be 12hrs...most of the company has increased their total work hours to 9.30.
2)Offshore is a low cost model where you cannot expect salary equal to onsite.

If you are planning to become a manager...
I usually see many of the manager in leading software companies are around 8 to 10 years of experience.
They have completed the following certifications...
1)PMP (You should have led the project for at least 36 months to write this certification)
2)ITIL
3)SDLC concepts
4)Good at Excel
5)Have to play games balanced between the employee and management Laughing

Very good written and verbal communications.

I also like to add some more information....

Many US companies are planning to move majority of the work to offshore in a phased manner to cut costs.Managed services are becoming very popular where the entire work is taken care by offshore without any onsite coordinator.

Cheers,
jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: