MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zIIP for DFSort

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sqlcode
Intermediate

Topics: 38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: zIIP for DFSort Reply with quote

I have seen DB2 load utility using zIIP in one of the load processes. Can we invoke zIIP from DFSort for user written Procs?

What is
Code:
ICE256I 0 DFSORT CODE IS ELIGIBLE TO USE ZIIP FOR THIS DB2 UTILITY RUN 

Thanks,
Frank Yaeger
Sort Forum Moderator
Sort Forum Moderator

Topics: 31

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFSORT can use zIIP on behalf of DB2 utiltiies, but not otherwise. Here's more information:

At this time, IBM has no plan for enabling DFSORT to exploit the IBM System z Integrated Information Processor (zIIP). IBM realizes DFSORT remains a prominent component of our customers' batch workloads; however, current testing, prototypes and data analysis indicate the value may be marginal for the majority of our customers. IBM will continue to focus its DFSORT development efforts on the enhanced function, performance, reliability and service items that we believe provide the most value to our clients.

DB2 Utilities Suite for z/OS uses a small set of DFSORT sort function. Worldwide, there has been a tremendous increase in DB2 for z/OS activity (due to such things as database consolidations, remote connectivity, business intelligence, and specialty engine exploitation). This increase in DB2 activity has led to an increase in database maintenance workloads which often drive bursts of parallel utility processing during scheduled maintenance windows. As a result, additional offload by DB2 Utilities Suite for z/OS is supported.
www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Franko
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sqlcode,

try searching on your inquiry variables (DFSORT and ZIIP) and you'd find this:

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/db2zos/apar-friday-and-you-thought-it-was-gone-smile-33466
Sqlcode
Intermediate

Topics: 38

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, Thanks for the quick explanation.

I became extra curious when I read that with zIIP, MSU utilization is not counted in routine workload and may result in system wide software cost savings.

Franko,
Thanks for the link.I did went through this article but I wanted to check if there is a way to invoke zIIP through DFSort in batch mode (not through DB2 utilities).

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: