MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to know that a volume is full

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yadav2005
Intermediate

Topics: 144

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: how to know that a volume is full Reply with quote

I have a index vsam DB2 dataset which resides on a volume.How can I know that my volume which i am using is full 99% and if full how can i move that dataset from one volume to another volume.How can I know that the dataset is running on extents.I am able to see the dataset in 3.4 with the volume name.Please help me in this regard.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yadav2005,

Quite simple.

Go to 3.4 and put the volume name and choose option V

Code:

Data Set List Utility                             
 Option ===> v                                                                 

blank Display data set list               P Print data set list             
        V Display VTOC information           PV Print VTOC information         

Enter one or both of the parameters below:                                     
    Dsname Level . . .                                                         
    Volume serial  . . XXXXXXX

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
yadav2005
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolusu,

Thanks I am clear now and I have got the following info from 3.4 giving volume name and option V
Code:

Essssssssssssssssssssssssss VTOC Summary Information ssssssssssssssssssssssssssN
e Volume . : XXXXXX                                                            e
e Command ===>                                                                 e
e                                                                              e
e Unit . . : 3390                                                              e
e                                                                              e
e  Volume Data             VTOC Data              Free Space   Tracks    Cyls  e
e  Tracks . :   50,085     Tracks  . :        90  Size  . . :   4,138     275  e
e  %Used  . :       91     %Used . . :         1  Largest . :   4,125     275  e
e  Trks/Cyls:       15     Free DSCBS:     4,477  Free                         e
e                                                 Extents . :       4          e
e PF 1=HELP      2=SPLIT     3=END       4=RETURN    5=RFIND     6=RCHANGE     e
e PF 7=UP        8=DOWN      9=SWAP     10=LEFT     11=RIGHT    12=RETRIEVE    e
DssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssM

Based on the above data , can you please explain few concepts.I am understanding that 91% of the volume is filled up.What is the terms extents here , is it something related to maximum 15 extents.

I have a question now , if I want to move a particular dataset from this pack to a different pack or if I want to move some of the datasets to a different pack what should I be doing. Is it simple as creating the new datasets on a different volume and deleting from the old pack.

Please help me in this regard.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yadav2005 wrote:
Based on the above data , can you please explain few concepts.I am understanding that 91% of the volume is filled up.What is the terms extents here , is it something related to maximum 15 extents.

Yadav2005,

Did you see PF 1=HELP ? press the key and start reading by pressing 1 and then 2

yadav2005 wrote:
I have a question now , if I want to move a particular dataset from this pack to a different pack or if I want to move some of the datasets to a different pack what should I be doing. Is it simple as creating the new datasets on a different volume and deleting from the old pack.

Read the documentation of ADRDSSU here

http://www.mvsforums.com/helpboards/viewtopic.php?p=10235#10235

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
yadav2005
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kolusu I will go through the options and the information given is clear. Thanks again for you help.
warp5
Intermediate

Topics: 18

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you define a cluster you can define it with candidate volumes. If you look at the cluster with IDCAMS you will see these volumes and they will be marked as candidates. If you are working with SMS you just add an asterik for the candidate volumes. You can also alter a cluster and add candidates.
VOLUME(PLATT1,PLATT2,PLATT3)
VOLUME(PLATT1,*,*) (SMS)

You should talk to others in your shops, a lot of this is only site specific, so you HAVE to ask others in your shop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: