MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rexx and assembler

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberuser
Beginner

Topics: 12

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: rexx and assembler Reply with quote

i have a small assembler source code to clean the screen.
normally i call this program before to start my rexx procedures.
is there any way during the compilation of the rexx to include this program ?

any other alternative to acquire this result (clear screen+ rexx procedure) is welcome.....
Dibakar
Advanced

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use TSO CALL function in your rexx code to execute the clear screen program - http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.zos.r10.ikjc500/ikj4c59036.htm
cyberuser
Beginner

Topics: 12

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i understand... and that's the way i've being using since i've wrote both programs...
but the question is... is there any way to pack (compile) both together ?
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for cobol and assembler, compiling only creates a object which must be link-edited,
to create an executable.

don't know about compiled rexx.

but you can't compile them together, you can only
(don't know if you can)
link-edit - binder process - them together.

so, you have a couple of search terms that you can use.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberuser,

IRXJCL can be used to compile REXX exec. Search the forum for IRXJCL and you will see many examples.

Check this link

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/h1981605/APPENDIX1.F.1?

Kolusu
semigeezer
Supermod

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been about 15 years since I dealt with rexx and assembler, but you might look into rexx functions or maybe function packages. I know that you can use non-rexx programs as rexx functions (my realname function, or Rob Scott's stem related functions) but I too do not not know about the linking aspects. I suspect that there is a way to allow your program to call an assembler program as a function linked into in the same load module (even if only linking the csect for the function as an alias entry of the load module - an admittedly ugly idea but workable with some planning for name collisions).
asr2
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual way of invoking an Assembler program (or indeed a program written in any programming language) is to use LINK, LINKMVS or LINKPGM. In the reverse direction, a "conventional" program (Assembler, COBOL, etc.) has many ways of directly invoking REXX services (including a REXX exec).
All these methods are described with examples in my book: Practical Usage of TSO REXX.

Regards
Tony
semigeezer
Supermod

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original question though was having the assembler and Rexx code in the same load module. That is probably not possible if the load module only has 1 entry point (the rexx code stub). It would be possible to link the assembler code in and create an alternate entry point (an alias) and then have the Rexx code call that command as usual via any method. The Rexx code would not know it is calling its own load module, but it would not care. Alternate entry points are sometimes frowned upon (see my previous post) because they used to get lost during ISPF copies and they can cause problems with naming collisions if you use an alias name multiple times but with some planning that can be avoided. (I think the ISPF copy problem was fixed but I'm not sure).
asr2
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know why, in this case, you would want to combine REXX and Assembler in a single load module.
On the other hand, I have written Assembler programs that include internal REXX code that is invoked with a REXX service. This allows, for example, REXX services, such as PARSE, to be used. When appropriate, this greatly simplifies the Assembler coding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: