MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DFSORT - return codes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediKnight
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: DFSORT - return codes Reply with quote

Hello,
I am converting some Fileaid jobs to DFsort. Currently, if a input file is empty in Fileaid, we get a return code of 8. This is the same with File Manager, it has been configured to give a return code of 8. When I tested DFSORT with an empty file, it gave a return code of 0, so I used the keyword NULLOFL=RC4 to give it something other than 0. I wonder why we can't use NULLOFL=RC8 so that we can bring it in line with the other tools ? (it only seems to be able to use 0,4 or 16). We can't globally change dfsort to generate a RC of 8 (if its possible) because we have many hundred of existing jobs running and I don't want to affect them.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediKnight,

With PTF UK90025 for z/OS DFSORT V1R10 and PTF UK90026 for z/OS DFSORT V1R12(Oct, 2010), DFSORT ICETOOL's COUNT operator now allows you to use a new RC8 option to set RC=8 (instead of RC=12) or RC=0 based on the count of records in a data set.

ex:

Code:

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL
//TOOLMSG  DD SYSOUT=*     
//DFSMSG   DD SYSOUT=*     
//IN       DD DSN=Your input empty file,
//            DISP=SHR
//TOOLIN   DD *
  COUNT FROM(IN) EMPTY RC8
//*

If your shop does not have the PTF H then ask your System Programmer to install PTF UK90025 for z/OS DFSORT V1R10 or PTF UK90026 for z/OS DFSORT V1R12 (they are free)

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
JediKnight
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, so I think you are saying that I need a new JCL step to generate the RC8. This will come before my existing JCL step which now looks like this....

OPTION COPY,
INCLUDE COND=(1,4,CH,EQ,X'00000000')
OUTFIL FNAMES=DD01O

Strange why I can't add the command EMPTY RC8 to the same step, must be some obvious reason why. Regards.
Frank Yaeger
Sort Forum Moderator
Sort Forum Moderator

Topics: 31

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually just gave another customer a Usermod to set RC=8 for NULLOUT and NULLOFL to help them migrate from a competitive product. Perhaps it was for your shop? If not and you are interested in the usermod, have your System Program contact the DFSORT hotline (dfsort@us.ibm.com) and ask about it.
www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: