MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web interface for Job monitoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somuk
Beginner

Topics: 37

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Web interface for Job monitoring Reply with quote

Hi,

We are looking for a feasibility study to develop a Java interface which simulates the mainframe job monitoring using a web interface. I mean, a browser based interface which provides me details of the jobs submitted thru a scheduler (say ZEKE). We don't mind even if there is a slight delay in providing the Job status in the web interface.

I know there are few products available in the market which does similar things. Does anybody has any prior exposure to similar requirement? Please help.
semigeezer
Supermod

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be a trivial CGI script. You should look at the Rexx interface to SDSF. It can provide you a list of running jobs in a stem variable which you can then format on the screen. The whole collection process is probably no more than 15 lines of Rexx code, maybe twice that if you allow user filters. The formatting... well that can get as complicated as you'd like Smile

Edit: I went back and looked at the one I wrote a few years ago that shows a user's jobs, and the job output. Simple job name collection is about 19 lines including adding XML tags, and getting the actual job output is about 25. The whole thing is probably about 1500 lines of Rexx, HTML and javascript but the whole page also does data set lists, member lists with stats, member viewing, userid cancellation and all of the lists are done with AJAX to provide live list updates as the user types so it is much more than just a simple job viewer.

FWIW, the reason I wrote it was just to see if getting the data for data set lists and member lists was fast enough in Rexx to keep up with user typing. It is, even on my low priority second level VM. The prototype never went anywhere even though everyone who sees it is impressed by the speed. Data set lists are gathered via IGGCSI00 and member lists are read directly via EXECIO.
somuk
Beginner

Topics: 37

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semigeezer,

Thank you very much.
We tried to see if SDSF can access thru Rexx Address SDSF command. We are able to get Job details from the Spool. If you could please share the code snippets that you are mentioning, it would be of great help. Also we are referring to IBM Redbook on Implementing Rexx for SDSF. Which also mentioned about using TCP/IP socket programming for achieving the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: