MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumps Analysis Using IPCS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Problem Determination
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheelu
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Dumps Analysis Using IPCS Reply with quote

Hi

I have a requirement to analyse dumps using IPCS.Using DFHDU670 utility, I formatted the dump into a ps file for a specific transaction. I allocated the ipcsparm library and In IPCS default option, I gave the ps file as source.The address space was allocated as RBA.In the command option of IPCS, when I tried to execute a basic command like LIST TITLE, I am getting the following error-
BLS18104I Symbol Title not found.
I am not able to find out the reason for this.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dumps Analysis Using IPCS Reply with quote

sheelu wrote:
Hi

I have a requirement to analyse dumps using IPCS.Using DFHDU670 utility, I formatted the dump into a ps file for a specific transaction. I allocated the ipcsparm library and In IPCS default option, I gave the ps file as source.The address space was allocated as RBA.In the command option of IPCS, when I tried to execute a basic command like LIST TITLE, I am getting the following error-
BLS18104I Symbol Title not found.
I am not able to find out the reason for this.

What did you code for RECFM for the PS file? IPCS requires the dump datasets to have RECFM=FBS. "s" is used to calculate the relative record address.

Copy the dump dataset using the following DCB parameters

Code:

//             DCB=(RECFM=FBS,LRECL=4160,BLKSIZE=24960) 

Btw I would really appreciate if you can post a feedback on the prior questions you posted.

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
sheelu
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolusu

I had created the dataset with the above DCB parameters only.

When I give system dump as input source in IPCS,all commands are getting executed.But when I give the dataset formatted using DFHDU670 utility as IPCS source,I am getting error.I read in the manual that IPCS will be able to analyse only unformatted dumps.In our CICS start up JCL I found SYSABEND dd name.Is the BLS18104I error occuring because of this, as SYSABEND dump type belongs to the formatted category.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheelu wrote:
Kolusu

I had created the dataset with the above DCB parameters only.

When I give system dump as input source in IPCS,all commands are getting executed.But when I give the dataset formatted using DFHDU670 utility as IPCS source,I am getting error.I read in the manual that IPCS will be able to analyse only unformatted dumps.In our CICS start up JCL I found SYSABEND dd name.Is the BLS18104I error occuring because of this, as SYSABEND dump type belongs to the formatted category.

Dumps produced by an MVS system fall into two categories:

1.Formatted dumps: SYSABEND and SYSUDUMP ABEND dumps and SNAP dumps. IPCS cannot be used with formatted dumps.

2.Unformatted dumps: SVC dumps, SYSMDUMP ABEND dumps, and stand-alone dumps. IPCS formats and analyzes unformatted dumps.

sheelu
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolusu

Even after changing the ddname from SYSABEND TO SYMDUMP in CICS start up JCL,when I give the formatted DFHDMPA dataset as source, I am gettin the same error. Crying or Very sad
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheelu wrote:
Kolusu

Even after changing the ddname from SYSABEND TO SYMDUMP in CICS start up JCL,when I give the formatted DFHDMPA dataset as source, I am gettin the same error. Crying or Very sad

Check and see if you have followed steps 3 and 4 in MVS system dump

sheelu
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolusu

Yes ,I have followed step 3 and step 4.

Is it possible to spot the reason for abend without IPCS by analysing the SYSABEND dump obtained for a transaction by formatting the DFHDMPA dataset using DFHDU670 utility ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Problem Determination All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: