MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Multi-Volume Datasets

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed.sam13
Beginner

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Question about Multi-Volume Datasets Reply with quote

I am using a 1GB multi-volume disk file as input. I want to skip some records based on a condition and then overlay the same file and proceed to the next step for processing. So i have the same file as SORTIN (DISP=SHR) and also as SORTOUT (DISP=(OLD,CATLG,CATLG).

But i am getting only a small subset of records in the output.

When i used DSN=NULLFILE in SORTOUT with the same condition, this is the statistics

Code:
INSERT          0, DELETE       5906
RCD IN   58636343, OUT   58630437

But when i give the SORTIN file in SORTOUT with the same condition this is the statistics

Code:
INSERT          0, DELETE          3
RCD IN    2639520, OUT    2639517

Is it because the work datasets are all single volume? Is there a way to get around this?
William Collins
Supermod

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd better show the full sysout from the two steps.

You can't use the same DSN for SORTIN and SORTOUT in a COPY or MERGE operation. You can in a SORT, although I don't regard it as a particularly good idea (ensure you have a back-up of the input, or that it can reasonably be recreated).
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Multi-Volume Datasets Reply with quote

ed.sam13 wrote:
I am using a 1GB multi-volume disk file as input. I want to skip some records based on a condition and then overlay the same file and proceed to the next step for processing. So i have the same file as SORTIN (DISP=SHR) and also as SORTOUT (DISP=(OLD,CATLG,CATLG).

ed.sam13,

With DFSORT, for a copy application, the SORTIN data set should not be the same as the SORTOUT data set or any OUTFIL data set because this can cause lost or incorrect data or unpredictable results.

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: