MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there something similiar to DUMMY parameter in MQ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manu
Beginner

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Is there something similiar to DUMMY parameter in MQ? Reply with quote

There is a MQ whose messages are not needed in certain test environments.The messages are emptied by a scheduled job in those regions now.I want to know whether there is something in MQ properties which can be modified in certain environments so that it behaves like a DUMMY dataset in mainframe JCL.ie Messages won't get actually written into the MQ.Thanks.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manu,

I Suggest you look into the parameters MAXDEPTH (Max queue depth - The maximum number of messages that are allowed on the queue. Specify a value from 0 - 999999999.) and RETINTVL (Retention interval - the number of hours from the date and time when it was created (from 0 - 999999999) that the queue might be needed. You can use this information to determine when the queue is no longer required. The queue will not be deleted when it is no longer required.)

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
manu
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kolusu,

I guess I am not clear.There is a CICS program writing messages into this MQ and obviously don't want the program to fail.The MQ still needs to be there but the actual messages are not needed in certain test environments. So instead of running jobs to empty or unload the MQ,I am looking for something in MQ properties to be changed (only certain test regions) so that this MQ behaves similar to a DD DUMMY statement in a JCL.ie The CICS program which writes messages into this MQ will not fail and at the same time messages are not written into the MQ.I am not sure whether this is possible in MQ or if there is DUMMY MQ option.I hope I am clear this time. Please let me know.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manu wrote:
Hi Kolusu,

I guess I am not clear.There is a CICS program writing messages into this MQ and obviously don't want the program to fail.The MQ still needs to be there but the actual messages are not needed in certain test environments. So instead of running jobs to empty or unload the MQ,I am looking for something in MQ properties to be changed (only certain test regions) so that this MQ behaves similar to a DD DUMMY statement in a JCL.ie The CICS program which writes messages into this MQ will not fail and at the same time messages are not written into the MQ.I am not sure whether this is possible in MQ or if there is DUMMY MQ option.I hope I am clear this time. Please let me know.

huh? Did you look up the parameters I mentioned? Why can't you change the MAXDEPTH=0 or MAXDEPTH=1 for the MQ definition in the test environment so that there is only 1 message in the queue, where you really don't need the MQ messages?

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
manu
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CICS program will fail once the MAXDEPTH is reached - MQRC_Q_FULL
right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: