MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding own command to 3.4 list

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misi01
Advanced

Topics: 171

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Adding own command to 3.4 list Reply with quote

Can anyone point me to a starting place as to how to add/tailor the 3.4 panel so that I can enter my own command on a line against a dataset.

In reality I would like to be able to invoke File Manager against the file. I found the filemgr dsv variation (DSV = Data Set View), but when I enter it on a line, I get an error message and a never-ending loop with the error message shown over and over again. The error message is
Quote:

File Manager command in error:
+++ File Manager DSV 'MISI01.xxxx.xxxxxx'

and this is repeated again and again
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01,

Define your own command table using the ISPF Command Table Utility Aka 3.9

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.f54ug00/cmdtbl.htm

Bruce Koss presented at share about how to add your own commands to the command table
An Experienced ISPF User Shares his Secrets.PDF

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading up on this, and I'm not there yet and would appreciate some help/ideas.

First things first. I am trying to follow the information here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_1.13.0/com.ibm.zos.r13.f54ug00/cmdtbl.htm as well as the info posted in the Bruce Koss presentation (specifically, pages 23-25).
The IBM site talks about checking whether a DD-name of ISPTABL exists. When I review that DD-name using ISRDDN, I fiind the DD-name pointing to S1491B.ISPFSB34.PROFILE ("my" file), and in that PDS is a member called WFSCMDS (which ties in with Bruce's instructions). Browsing the member, I find the following text
Quote:

Copies a 3.4 filename to a new file

which also ties in with what I tried to create using Bruce's instructions.I'm having 3 immediate problems with the doing the rest (my command is called KOPIA)
1 If I enter the command KOPIA next to a file shown via 3.4, I simply get "command KOPIA not found"
2 If I were to get it working, how do I pick up the name of the 3.4 file so as to use it in my script
3 If I do a 3.9, The appl ID on the left says ISR , and the options on the right show ISR, SITE and ISP. If I enter WFS on the left (which is what I did originally), then the next panel is empty rather than showing my command KOPIA.

What am I doing wrong?
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:
I have been reading up on this, and I'm not there yet and would appreciate some help/ideas.

First things first. I am trying to follow the information here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_1.13.0/com.ibm.zos.r13.f54ug00/cmdtbl.htm as well as the info posted in the Bruce Koss presentation (specifically, pages 23-25).

You missed the 2 important slides on page 21 and 22 which talks about ISPCCONF

Code:

Define/set
• APPLID_FOR_SITE_COMMAND_TABLE = WFS
• APPLID_FOR_USER_COMMAND_TABLE = WFU, WFU2, WFU3

misi01 wrote:

The IBM site talks about checking whether a DD-name of ISPTABL exists. When I review that DD-name using ISRDDN, I fiind the DD-name pointing to S1491B.ISPFSB34.PROFILE ("my" file), and in that PDS is a member called WFSCMDS (which ties in with Bruce's instructions). Browsing the member, I find the following text
Quote:

Copies a 3.4 filename to a new file

which also ties in with what I tried to create using Bruce's instructions.

On slide 22 you will find this

Code:

Prerequisite
ʉۢ Must allocate a PDS dataset to ISPTABL DD card
   â€¢ This is where the site command table will be saved (WFSCMDS)
   â€¢ Preferably a dataset concatenated to ISPTLIB DD card
   â€¢ Allows easy testing and validating of site commands
   â€¢ Dataset attributes: RECFM=FB,LRECL=80

misi01 wrote:

I'm having 3 immediate problems with the doing the rest (my command is called KOPIA)
1 If I enter the command KOPIA next to a file shown via 3.4, I simply get "command KOPIA not found"
2 If I were to get it working, how do I pick up the name of the 3.4 file so as to use it in my script

Your command exec must be able to interpret the usage of (/) to left of the dataset and it will automatically pick up the name of the dataset.

misi01 wrote:

3 If I do a 3.9, The appl ID on the left says ISR , and the options on the right show ISR, SITE and ISP. If I enter WFS on the left (which is what I did originally), then the next panel is empty rather than showing my command KOPIA.

What am I doing wrong?

You simply skipped the instructions on slides 21 and 22.

misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow-on question. On slide 21 it states
Quote:

Ensure ISPCFIGU module, created by ISPCCONF, is located in
•
LPA or LNK List
•
or ISPLLIB (STEPLIB) allocated to TSO logon proc

To me, this indicates that I need to be a sys prog rather than a "simple" developer. Is that the case (if so, then I'm bu**ered since I don't have that sort of authority).

We do have the ability to define our own logon libraries by defining and creating a PDS member called userid.TEST.EXEC($LDDNAME) which is then read in at logon time. 2 questions about this file
1 Is the naming convention standard for all ISPF installations (or is it specific to where I'm working at the moment)
2 Since TSO ISRDDN shows no reference to ISPLLIB, maybe I can add this library as an extra entry in the $LDDNAME ????
Nic Clouston
Advanced

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re 1 - it is site specific
Re 2 - check out any documentation for $LDDNAME. If none can be found then simply try it or check with the sysprogs.
misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going over the instructions again, I've managed to get the Z34 command to work.

I have written my simple KOPIA rexx script that shows an ISPF panel. At the moment, if I enter the command TSO KOPIA on the command line, I see my panel, no problems.

However, now I want to specify my KOPIA command to be used in 3.4 next to the file to be copied. I edit the command table, add the verb KOPIA, but what action should I specify?
I tried something like exec(public.code(kopia)) but the panel editor didn't like that (Invalid action field).

Update
Looks like I haven't been able to see the wood for the trees!!! I found an example of what I was after here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSXJAJ_13.1.0/com.ibm.faultanalyzer.doc_13.1/idiug104.html and followed the logic.
Basically, my KOPIA script became the following code at the beginning
Code:

parse arg dsn .               
if dsn = '' then             
  do                         
    rc = no_dataset()         
    exit 4                   
  end                         

(basically, the same as the example).

To summarize.... all the examples in Bruce's document from pages 6-11 are about setting the default ISPF values (for example Scroll amount = CSR) for a user's ISPF session.
The examples on page 21 onwards are about creating your own ISPF commands that you can run without entering the word TSO as a prefix to the command name.

Is that about right ?
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:
After going over the instructions again, I've managed to get the Z34 command to work.

Glad you could get it to work

misi01 wrote:

To summarize.... all the examples in Bruce's document from pages 6-11 are about setting the default ISPF values (for example Scroll amount = CSR) for a user's ISPF session.
The examples on page 21 onwards are about creating your own ISPF commands that you can run without entering the word TSO as a prefix to the command name.

Is that about right ?

Yep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: