MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large'ish Working Storage and SOS issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumithar
Beginner

Topics: 29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Large'ish Working Storage and SOS issues Reply with quote

Firstly- I did post this in "another" forum too, so I hope I'm not flouting some regulations!
Hi all- I have been doing CICS programming for many years and believe it or not heard this term SOS for the first time today. I guess I have been lucky.
Anyway we were performance testing a CICS web service and the region just became unresponsive and had to be recycled. And the CICS admin said it was an SOS issue.
The program had performed well in the prior environments.

I was just wondering if it could be because the program underpinning the web service has a large-ish WS, just over 2.5MB. I say it is large because I looked a a number of our existing regular CICS transactions and none come even close.

The stress testing team were simulating a scenario with 25 active users submitting enough requests to mimic a peak production load of about 40K requests an hour- would it have caused this SOS scenario?

FWW we're on CICS 3.2 and the region under consideration has 130MB in 31bit storage
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumithar,

I usually don't honor cross posting, however since you came clean about it, I will let it go.

My CICS knowledge is rusty, so here are my thoughts

1. What is the AMODE of the offending transaction ? 24 ?

2. If the AMODE is not 24 , then did your program compile with Data(31). DATA(31) is a compile option, which specifies that working-storage will be acquired above the line. If your program amode is 24 then even if you had Data(31), it would be ignored under CICS

3. Last but not least, check this share presentation about Handling CICS SOS Conditions

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
Nic Clouston
Advanced

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK about the cross-posting in this case as the original was a week ago and with no responses.
sumithar
Beginner

Topics: 29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolusu wrote:
sumithar,

I usually don't honor cross posting, however since you came clean about it, I will let it go.

My CICS knowledge is rusty, so here are my thoughts

1. What is the AMODE of the offending transaction ? 24 ?

2. If the AMODE is not 24 , then did your program compile with Data(31). DATA(31) is a compile option, which specifies that working-storage will be acquired above the line. If your program amode is 24 then even if you had Data(31), it would be ignored under CICS

3. Last but not least, check this share presentation about Handling CICS SOS Conditions

Hi Kolusu,
Thanks for the response.
It's AMODE(31)
It's compiled with DATA(31)

I had downloaded that presentation and have been making my way thru it.

But the update at this point is that the CICS Admin increased the EDSALIM from 130 to 640M and on DFHSIP changed the value to REGION=0K from REGION=200M.

After these two changes, we didn't encounter any SOS issues.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: