Need to copy all GDG generations to another GDG ?
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
MVSFORUMS.com -> Job Control Language(JCL)

#1: Need to copy all GDG generations to another GDG ? Author: sankar narayanan PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:19 am
    —
Hi

Here goes my requirement.
I am having a GDG of 200 generations. I want to copy each generations into another GDG versions in a single JCL.Is it possible if so please help me on the way. Embarassed

Eg:Input Version
Code:
USR.AAAA.TEST.G0136V00
USR.AAAA.TEST.G0137V00
USR.AAAA.TEST.G0138V00
USR.AAAA.TEST.G0139V00

Output:Need all the above version to the other GDG Versions.

#2:  Author: expatLocation: Welsh Wales PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:21 am
    —
Do you want to create 200 generations of a new GDG or do you want to create one generation of a new GDG

#3:  Author: sankar narayanan PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 am
    —
Yes...I want to create 200 generations of the new GDG

#4:  Author: dbzTHEdinosauerLocation: germany PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:16 am
    —
rename them. I believe by virtue of the name, they will be a member of the new gdg base.

expat, am I in error here?

#5:  Author: sankar narayanan PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:23 am
    —
i dont think its a appt solution....even if i am going to rename it the process will be too long for the 200 versions.

#6:  Author: CraigGLocation: Viginia, USA PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:48 am
    —
sankar narayanan wrote:
i dont think its a appt solution....even if i am going to rename it the process will be too long for the 200 versions.

Renaming would be lot quicker then copying!

#7:  Author: Bill DennisLocation: Iowa, USA PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:03 pm
    —
Of course if they're tapes, rename isn't possible.

Tasks such as this make my head hurt! bonk

#8:  Author: sankar narayanan PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:57 pm
    —
the above requirement is urgent. Please help me..... Sad

#9:  Author: dbzTHEdinosauerLocation: germany PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 am
    —
is it urgent because someone dropped the ball and did not plan for this eventuality?

#10:  Author: expatLocation: Welsh Wales PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 am
    —
If they are DASD, take a look at DFdss and the RENAME or RENAMEUNCONDITIONAL parameters.

As Bill said, if they are tape ........................ Tough luck

#11:  Author: Bill DennisLocation: Iowa, USA PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:46 am
    —
If this is a one time thing, start coding JCL for a job with 200 steps. SORT COPY or IEBGENER.

If this will happen regularly, search for REXX examples of generating JCL from a LISTCAT.

#12:  Author: Nic CloustonLocation: At Home PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:51 am
    —
If it is urgent you could have done it manually before getting your first response!

#13:  Author: sankar narayanan PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:55 am
    —
Ya...i have done it manually which is consumes more time.
I need this in a automated way. If you have any suggestion let me Nic Clouston. Evil or Very Mad

#14:  Author: dbzTHEdinosauerLocation: germany PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:17 am
    —
If you would actually read the posts, you would have found your answer:
From Bill Dennis
Quote:
If this will happen regularly, search for REXX examples of generating JCL from a LISTCAT

which now means you will have to open a new thread in the rexx forum, since you do not want read anything - there are only about 30 threads about this - and you want everyone to provide you a solution.

Urgent...................oh, pity you!

#15:  Author: expatLocation: Welsh Wales PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:32 am
    —
sankar narayanan wrote:
Ya...i have done it manually which is consumes more time.
I need this in a automated way. If you have any suggestion let me Nic Clouston. Evil or Very Mad

Perhaps if you would have answered some of the questions asked about your problem then more help would have been available.

So, I ask yet again, are these tape or DASD datasets ? Because, for a second time, if they are DASD then Dfdss will do exactly what it says on the tin, and perform the task in one simple step.

As for urgent, it may be for you but certainly not for me.

MVSFORUMS.com -> Job Control Language(JCL)

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2