Question about Multi-Volume Datasets
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Utilities

#1: Question about Multi-Volume Datasets Author: ed.sam13 PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 am
    —
I am using a 1GB multi-volume disk file as input. I want to skip some records based on a condition and then overlay the same file and proceed to the next step for processing. So i have the same file as SORTIN (DISP=SHR) and also as SORTOUT (DISP=(OLD,CATLG,CATLG).

But i am getting only a small subset of records in the output.

When i used DSN=NULLFILE in SORTOUT with the same condition, this is the statistics

Code:
INSERT          0, DELETE       5906
RCD IN   58636343, OUT   58630437

But when i give the SORTIN file in SORTOUT with the same condition this is the statistics

Code:
INSERT          0, DELETE          3
RCD IN    2639520, OUT    2639517

Is it because the work datasets are all single volume? Is there a way to get around this?

#2:  Author: William Collins PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:54 am
    —
You'd better show the full sysout from the two steps.

You can't use the same DSN for SORTIN and SORTOUT in a COPY or MERGE operation. You can in a SORT, although I don't regard it as a particularly good idea (ensure you have a back-up of the input, or that it can reasonably be recreated).

#3: Re: Question about Multi-Volume Datasets Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:17 am
    —
ed.sam13 wrote:
I am using a 1GB multi-volume disk file as input. I want to skip some records based on a condition and then overlay the same file and proceed to the next step for processing. So i have the same file as SORTIN (DISP=SHR) and also as SORTOUT (DISP=(OLD,CATLG,CATLG).

ed.sam13,

With DFSORT, for a copy application, the SORTIN data set should not be the same as the SORTOUT data set or any OUTFIL data set because this can cause lost or incorrect data or unpredictable results.

MVSFORUMS.com -> Utilities

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1