Question on running a BMP and updating a field
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> IMS

#1: Question on running a BMP and updating a field Author: BobGilbert PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:09 am
    —
I have this voice in the back of me head from years ago being told if you run a BMP update in an IMS database, and the online portion of the application is up, and the same field is being accessed by a user, a catastrophic failure could occur.

I am in a position of approving these types of changes, change is all about risk, is this a risk? I may be totally wrong which is fine, figured better to ask the experts!

Thanks!

#2:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:33 am
    —
BobGilbert,

You may want to take a look at the presentation which discusses in detail about Understanding IMS Locking here.

https://share.confex.com/share/116/webprogram/Handout/Session8566/Understanding%20IMS%20Locking%20Mar2011.pdf

#3:  Author: BobGilbert PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:18 am
    —
Kolusu,

Thanks for the link, it is useful. I guess I was hoping someone would make the statement this could or could not happen. In the old days it was strictly forbidden to run BMP updates during the online window for fear of a user updating a field at the same time the BMP tried on the same field, or so I remember?

As we outsourced both the applications and infrastructure I have seen this pushed and pushed to running the update/fix jobs during business hours, with the caveat to be ran towards the end of the work day. In the old days this was a stickily forbidden practice. The retained employees that work with the application outsourcer seem less and less concerned, after all it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, although in this case they are asking for permission first and we am approving Smile

MVSFORUMS.com -> IMS

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1