Adding own command to 3.4 list
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> TSO and ISPF

#1: Adding own command to 3.4 list Author: misi01Location: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:08 am
    —
Can anyone point me to a starting place as to how to add/tailor the 3.4 panel so that I can enter my own command on a line against a dataset.

In reality I would like to be able to invoke File Manager against the file. I found the filemgr dsv variation (DSV = Data Set View), but when I enter it on a line, I get an error message and a never-ending loop with the error message shown over and over again. The error message is
Quote:

File Manager command in error:
+++ File Manager DSV 'MISI01.xxxx.xxxxxx'

and this is repeated again and again

#2:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:11 pm
    —
misi01,

Define your own command table using the ISPF Command Table Utility Aka 3.9

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.f54ug00/cmdtbl.htm

Bruce Koss presented at share about how to add your own commands to the command table
An Experienced ISPF User Shares his Secrets.PDF

#3:  Author: misi01Location: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:41 am
    —
I have been reading up on this, and I'm not there yet and would appreciate some help/ideas.

First things first. I am trying to follow the information here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_1.13.0/com.ibm.zos.r13.f54ug00/cmdtbl.htm as well as the info posted in the Bruce Koss presentation (specifically, pages 23-25).
The IBM site talks about checking whether a DD-name of ISPTABL exists. When I review that DD-name using ISRDDN, I fiind the DD-name pointing to S1491B.ISPFSB34.PROFILE ("my" file), and in that PDS is a member called WFSCMDS (which ties in with Bruce's instructions). Browsing the member, I find the following text
Quote:

Copies a 3.4 filename to a new file

which also ties in with what I tried to create using Bruce's instructions.I'm having 3 immediate problems with the doing the rest (my command is called KOPIA)
1 If I enter the command KOPIA next to a file shown via 3.4, I simply get "command KOPIA not found"
2 If I were to get it working, how do I pick up the name of the 3.4 file so as to use it in my script
3 If I do a 3.9, The appl ID on the left says ISR , and the options on the right show ISR, SITE and ISP. If I enter WFS on the left (which is what I did originally), then the next panel is empty rather than showing my command KOPIA.

What am I doing wrong?

#4:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:49 am
    —
misi01 wrote:
I have been reading up on this, and I'm not there yet and would appreciate some help/ideas.

First things first. I am trying to follow the information here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_1.13.0/com.ibm.zos.r13.f54ug00/cmdtbl.htm as well as the info posted in the Bruce Koss presentation (specifically, pages 23-25).

You missed the 2 important slides on page 21 and 22 which talks about ISPCCONF

Code:

Define/set
• APPLID_FOR_SITE_COMMAND_TABLE = WFS
• APPLID_FOR_USER_COMMAND_TABLE = WFU, WFU2, WFU3

misi01 wrote:

The IBM site talks about checking whether a DD-name of ISPTABL exists. When I review that DD-name using ISRDDN, I fiind the DD-name pointing to S1491B.ISPFSB34.PROFILE ("my" file), and in that PDS is a member called WFSCMDS (which ties in with Bruce's instructions). Browsing the member, I find the following text
Quote:

Copies a 3.4 filename to a new file

which also ties in with what I tried to create using Bruce's instructions.

On slide 22 you will find this

Code:

Prerequisite
ʉۢ Must allocate a PDS dataset to ISPTABL DD card
   â€¢ This is where the site command table will be saved (WFSCMDS)
   â€¢ Preferably a dataset concatenated to ISPTLIB DD card
   â€¢ Allows easy testing and validating of site commands
   â€¢ Dataset attributes: RECFM=FB,LRECL=80

misi01 wrote:

I'm having 3 immediate problems with the doing the rest (my command is called KOPIA)
1 If I enter the command KOPIA next to a file shown via 3.4, I simply get "command KOPIA not found"
2 If I were to get it working, how do I pick up the name of the 3.4 file so as to use it in my script

Your command exec must be able to interpret the usage of (/) to left of the dataset and it will automatically pick up the name of the dataset.

misi01 wrote:

3 If I do a 3.9, The appl ID on the left says ISR , and the options on the right show ISR, SITE and ISP. If I enter WFS on the left (which is what I did originally), then the next panel is empty rather than showing my command KOPIA.

What am I doing wrong?

You simply skipped the instructions on slides 21 and 22.

#5:  Author: misi01Location: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 am
    —
A follow-on question. On slide 21 it states
Quote:

Ensure ISPCFIGU module, created by ISPCCONF, is located in
•
LPA or LNK List
•
or ISPLLIB (STEPLIB) allocated to TSO logon proc

To me, this indicates that I need to be a sys prog rather than a "simple" developer. Is that the case (if so, then I'm bu**ered since I don't have that sort of authority).

We do have the ability to define our own logon libraries by defining and creating a PDS member called userid.TEST.EXEC($LDDNAME) which is then read in at logon time. 2 questions about this file
1 Is the naming convention standard for all ISPF installations (or is it specific to where I'm working at the moment)
2 Since TSO ISRDDN shows no reference to ISPLLIB, maybe I can add this library as an extra entry in the $LDDNAME ????

#6:  Author: Nic CloustonLocation: At Home PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 am
    —
Re 1 - it is site specific
Re 2 - check out any documentation for $LDDNAME. If none can be found then simply try it or check with the sysprogs.

#7:  Author: misi01Location: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:26 am
    —
After going over the instructions again, I've managed to get the Z34 command to work.

I have written my simple KOPIA rexx script that shows an ISPF panel. At the moment, if I enter the command TSO KOPIA on the command line, I see my panel, no problems.

However, now I want to specify my KOPIA command to be used in 3.4 next to the file to be copied. I edit the command table, add the verb KOPIA, but what action should I specify?
I tried something like exec(public.code(kopia)) but the panel editor didn't like that (Invalid action field).

Update
Looks like I haven't been able to see the wood for the trees!!! I found an example of what I was after here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSXJAJ_13.1.0/com.ibm.faultanalyzer.doc_13.1/idiug104.html and followed the logic.
Basically, my KOPIA script became the following code at the beginning
Code:

parse arg dsn .               
if dsn = '' then             
  do                         
    rc = no_dataset()         
    exit 4                   
  end                         

(basically, the same as the example).

To summarize.... all the examples in Bruce's document from pages 6-11 are about setting the default ISPF values (for example Scroll amount = CSR) for a user's ISPF session.
The examples on page 21 onwards are about creating your own ISPF commands that you can run without entering the word TSO as a prefix to the command name.

Is that about right ?

#8:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 am
    —
misi01 wrote:
After going over the instructions again, I've managed to get the Z34 command to work.

Glad you could get it to work

misi01 wrote:

To summarize.... all the examples in Bruce's document from pages 6-11 are about setting the default ISPF values (for example Scroll amount = CSR) for a user's ISPF session.
The examples on page 21 onwards are about creating your own ISPF commands that you can run without entering the word TSO as a prefix to the command name.

Is that about right ?

Yep.

MVSFORUMS.com -> TSO and ISPF

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1