VSAM Status code 90
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Data Management

#1: VSAM Status code 90 Author: Smith PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:54 pm
    —
Hi,
I am trying to read a VSAM file, and I am getting a File Status 90 in my COBOL program. I thought it is some logical error, but when i restarted the job I got a file status of 90 in another key (not the same key as before). It successfully passed the read for the key for which it abended before. Could anyone help?

Thanks,
Smith

#2:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:31 pm
    —
Smith,

Are you running your programs as a multithreaded application ? If you open a QSAM/VSAM file in a multithreaded application, you must close it from the same thread of execution from which the file was opened. Attempting to close the file from a different thread results in a close failure with file-status condition 90.

If that is the case then check this link which explains in detail about closing and opening files in such environements.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IGY3PG10/4.4?DT=20020923143836

Also is there a REWRITE involved?

Hope this helps...

Cheers

kolusu

#3:  Author: Smith PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:54 pm
    —
Kolusu,
Thanks for your prompt reply. For your questions:

1) We are not running programs as multithreaded application
2) Yes we are Rewriting the record in certain conditions

Also we are using BLSR option in our JCL to increase the performance.

Thanks,
Smith

#4:  Author: Smith PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:57 pm
    —
Kolusu,
Forgot to add that, the SYSOUT says it is abending on READ giving file status 90. We are reading the file using an alternate index (actually Start ..Read Next command) and it is here where it abends with 90 status code

Thanks,
Smith

#5:  Author: vkphani PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:50 am
    —
Is it possible to get the File status code 90 even if VSAM file is not used in the program.

#6:  Author: PhantomLocation: The Blue Planet PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:21 am
    —
vkphani,

Quote:

Is it possible to get the File status code 90 even if VSAM file is not used in the program.

Nope !. The file status gets updated only when you make any I/O operations over the file (Open / Read / Close / rewrite / write). When you don't use the VSAM file in the program, the only operation that takes place is the JCL DD allocation. Depending on whether the VSAM is held up by other jobs, your job might end up in Contention but not in File Status 90.

Thanks,
Phantom

#7:  Author: vkphani PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:27 am
    —
Thanks for the info Phantom.

MVSFORUMS.com -> Data Management

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1