SB37 Related Question
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Interview Q & A

#1: SB37 Related Question Author: arvibala PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:33 pm
    —
Hello all,

I just received this question from my friend, guess he shud have been questioned in an interview.

A file has Just 10 records and Space allocated is 50,50 cylinders. The JCL gives SB37 abend, what could be the reason?

#2:  Author: Nic CloustonLocation: At Home PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:02 am
    —
That would depend on the sub-code (return code) - see here:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2m760/3.16?ACTION=MATCHES&REQUEST=IEC030I&TYPE=FUZZY&SHELF=&DT=20050714040025&CASE=&searchTopic=TOPIC&searchText=TEXT&searchIndex=INDEX&rank=RANK&ScrollTOP=FIRSTHIT#FIRSTHIT

#3:  Author: warp5Location: Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:22 am
    —
I would guess that the disk is full and there is not enough space for the primary allocation.

#4:  Author: Nic CloustonLocation: At Home PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:00 am
    —
Quote:

I would guess that the disk is full and there is not enough space for the primary allocation

I would have thought that that would give a D37 or even a JCL error 'SPACE REQUESTED NOT AVAILABLE'

#5:  Author: narendraLocation: bangalore PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:43 am
    —
Generally SB37 Abend happens only when the primary space is not sufficient to run the program.

#6:  Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:26 am
    —
As Nic has said, SB37 has Return-Codes (3 returen-codes, I believe), like SB37-RC. These are 04/08/0C. So have a closer look at your abend and the meaning of the RC.

Also, when defining a huge primary space, keep in mind, that this space is needed in one piece. And if the file gets a multiple-volume-file, the next volume also needs this prime-space at one piece on the disk.

Usually, SMS is supposed to virtually eliminate B37 abends. But the SMS setup varies from site to site. So, the ability to counter Sx37 abends depends entirely on how the routines and classes have been set up.

MVSFORUMS.com -> Interview Q & A

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1