MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IEFUTL4 - wait time limit extended

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Problem Determination
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkusamy
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: IEFUTL4 - wait time limit extended Reply with quote

In one of my job log I could see the below IEFUTL message.

Code:
05.52.21 JOB01866  -JOBNAME  STEPNAME PROCSTEP    RC    I/O   CPUTIME                   ELAPSED
05.52.21 JOB01866  IEFUTL4 - wait time limit extended for #RCM1526  001 TIME
07.00.35 JOB01866  -#RCM1526 RENAME   SERV         0   1820  00:00:32.17               02:37:43.80

The procedure SERV use to take few seconds to rename around 600 datasets. But in this case, surprisingly, SERV's Elapsed time is 02:37:43.80 but its CPU time is quiet usual.

Even, if any one of the dataset is being exclusively used (DISP=OLD) by another job/user, SERV will simply print a warning message and will proceed with the next dataset.

So could any one please elaborate the exact meaning of IEFUTL4 and also explain what makes the system to print this message?

Thanks,
Bill Dennis
Advanced

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the JOB has been in a WAIT for the limit specified in the SMFPRMxx member in PARMLIB then system exit IEFUTL is invoked. The exit can determine whether the job should get an extension (as yours did) or be terminated.

Perhaps the program was waiting to rename a dataset that was in use?

The step seems to have completed OK anyway (RC=0).

Disclaimer: My comments on this foorum are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity.
mkusamy
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis.

Quote:
Perhaps the program was waiting to rename a dataset that was in use?

But, as I already stated
Quote:
Even, if any one of the dataset is being exclusively used (DISP=OLD) by another job/user, SERV will simply print a warning message and will proceed with the next dataset.

SERV will not wait even if the dataset is already in use.
Bill Dennis
Advanced

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be other causes such as volume "reserves" or catalog contention. No way to tell what caused the wait.

Disclaimer: My comments on this foorum are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Problem Determination All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: