MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IMS MPP Input

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> IMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bade_miya
Beginner

Topics: 38

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: IMS MPP Input Reply with quote

Hi Experts,

We have an IMS BMP program which calls a DB2 module to read config from the DB2 tables. We are trying to reuse the same module for one of our online solutions. But as DB2 call is significantly increasing the response time, we are looking for other options to provide the configuration parameters to the program.

One option which we thought is to define the configs in an array and include that as a copybook to the program. But when a new config needs to be added, the program should be recompiled.

The second option was to provide the configs to the program through input files. But I learned that IMS MPP cannot access input files. (Is that true? Not even GSAMs?). Given that we do not want to recompile the program every time a new config is added, can anyone think of any other alternatives? (Creating a new IMS DB for storing configs is not an option because client has voted against it).

Thanks
bade_miya
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I would solve the db2 access problem.
don't tell me. you created the config db2 table(s) based on SAP standards.

the config access should be at most two primary keys selects.

but on another note: 4.1.5 Comparison of different techniques for sharing data
NOTE BIEN: Table 18. Techniques for sharing keyed data
Anuj Dhawan
Intermediate

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: IMS MPP Input Reply with quote

bade_miya wrote:
The second option was to provide the configs to the program through input files. But I learned that IMS MPP cannot access input files. (Is that true? Not even GSAMs?).
You can BUT - remember that it would be a "insert only" situation. GSAM has no index, it's just another sequential file defined to IMS. So, you could not access it in subsequent programs.

If you want to be able to access online, the best choice would be HDAM.

Quote:
Given that we do not want to recompile the program every time a new config is added, can anyone think of any other alternatives? (Creating a new IMS DB for storing configs is not an option because client has voted against it).
They have not voted wrong!
Anuj Dhawan
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, one second -- you first said
Quote:
We have an IMS BMP program ...
and second you said
Quote:
I learned that IMS MPP cannot access input files
- which one should we pick up to answer?
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: IMS MPP Input Reply with quote

Anuj Dhawan wrote:
You can BUT - remember that it would be a "insert only" situation. GSAM has no index, it's just another sequential file defined to IMS. So, you could not access it in subsequent programs.

Anuj,

The last time I worked with IMS is about 6 years ago , but did IMS MPP change to accessing GSAM files as INPUT?

Kolusu
Anuj Dhawan
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolusu,

Please check: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v6r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.etools.egl.doc/topics/ceglasm0450.html and look for IMS runtime support.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anuj Dhawan wrote:
Kolusu,

Please check: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v6r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.etools.egl.doc/topics/ceglasm0450.html and look for IMS runtime support.

huh?

Why are we talking about EGL? I thought the question was to how to handle an IMS MPP transaction of z/OS?

may be i am too slow to follow , but where do you see that IMS MPP reading INPUT GSAM files?

Kolusu
bade_miya
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dbzTHEdinosauer, Anuj and Kolusu.

We have TableBase in our shop and I heard that for online IMS programs, it is 18-22 times faster than DB2. That is the option we are researching right now. Has anyone worked with tablebase for online IMS programs previously?

Anuj,

Sorry if I was not clear. We have an "existing IMS BMP program" which uses DB2. we are working on a "new IMS MPP program" for which we need to give config input.
I was not talking about EGL, so I don't think that will help me.

Thanks & Regards
bade_miya.
Nic Clouston
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters whether the program is IMS/DB2/batch/BMP or online as far as TableBae is concerned. Check out the TableBase manuals. From what I recall they are readable. I have them, I think, but I am about to go to work (non-IT Crying or Very sad ) so do not have time to look up the info. I may try tonight.
bade_miya
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have got a manual for Tablebase and it claims to support IMS online programs as well. So we have decided to go with Tablebase. I will come back and post if proved otherwise. Thanks for the answers.

Thanks & Regards
bade_miya
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> IMS All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: