MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Gartner Group MIPS Rating Guide and Licensing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Other Technical Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pth1rb
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Current Gartner Group MIPS Rating Guide and Licensing Reply with quote

We are replacing our "old" but reliable z800-0a1 with a z10 bc i01.

z800: 80 mips; 1cpu; 13msu; software group of 40
z10: 88 mips; 1cpu; 11msu; software group of 40

Most software vendors have recognized the change in hardware as a replacement and have no upgrade fees. Others are using either the Cheryl Watson or Gartner group MIPS ratings to establish an upgrade charge.

One case the difference in list price in Gartners MIPS rating Guide is a 58% increase (for a 10% increase in MIPS ...can I say... That's rapacious!), our annual maintenance will be a 63% increase again based on the current MIPs list pricing guide. The software vendor tells us the z800 at the time was an entry level zSeries, whose rating was underpriced and our new z10 CPU is more a accurate rating. Unfortunately their License Agreement states an upgrade fee will be the"differnce in current list prices based on MIPs". Thanks we get for being a loyal paying customer for over 15 years.

We don't subscribe to Watson or Gartner; is there a link out there that has this information published - so I can see it first hand, rather than just accept this lying down.

Any advice?

Regards,
Rob
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an IBM PDF. ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/zsh03006gben/ZSH03006GBEN.PDF
pth1rb
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<rant>
What algorithm does Gartner use to translate the MIPS into a comparable List Price. Some vendors use Gartner's Guide as words from God to come up their magical ugrade differencial figures.

my example:
z800 0a1 - $67,344 71 Mips = $948/mip
z10 i01 - $106,844 88 mips = $1214/mip

Therefore we owe a hefty one-time fee of $39,500. (incidently - we originally paid $33,700 in 1996 for 82 Mips)

In the IBM chart the z800 0a1 is rated at 71 Mips (although back in the day it was rated at 80 Mips - must be an reversing age thing). I am struggling with why the z800 has such a low comparable mips list price?

</rant>

Regards,
Rob
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pth1rb wrote:
<rant>
What algorithm does Gartner use to translate the MIPS into a comparable List Price. Some vendors use Gartner's Guide as words from God to come up their magical ugrade differencial figures.

May be this will help?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Gartner+Group+MIPS+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Click on the "Quick View" in the 1st link or register yourself to view the PDF.

Kolusu
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Other Technical Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: