MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Management Class questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobGilbert
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Management Class questions Reply with quote

Our shop never fully converted over from retention periods. I see many mangement classes setup keeping backups etc etc., even though the datasets expire. Bang for the buck, which parameters would you recomend I have modified if I have the attitude, it expired I want it gone! I understand a certain amount of having the ability to recover a fail volumn is needed, but keeping backups costs money. If you know of resource where I can read what each field actualy means I will go read for myself, but I need it a little dumified.

Thanks!
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobGilbert,

I suggest you start here

DFSMShsm Storage Administration Guide

DFSMSdss Storage Administration Guide

Kolusu
warp5
Intermediate

Topics: 18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you would be suprised what the help key will show you in ISMF - try it.
BobGilbert
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have been in ISMF. I have created lists etc. The point of all this is in our shop, and I suspect many others, when HSM/SMS came on the scene many people never fully converted. What I mean from that is when datasets are allocated explicit retention periods add on the files. If these datasets expire indicating they are not needed then why are we keeping multiple backups for X amount of days. While looking at our management class profiles I wanted to fully understand the fields I may potentialy change, before having anything changed. The links above have some examples for me to work through and I thank you all very much.
warp5
Intermediate

Topics: 18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I have found that the helps in ISMF are often more explicit and give more information than the manuals. If you alter an entry and press help for the fields you really may be surprised about how good the help is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: