MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DFSMS ABACKUP and masks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobGilbert
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: DFSMS ABACKUP and masks Reply with quote

Where can I find the rules used for masking datasets using abackup Question I need to compare these to RACF rules. The idea is to take the RACF rules and run them in a abackup with verify to get a full listing of all datasets meeting the RACF rule. It would be nice to understand if I could use a more specific racf rule for the exclude as well.

You might say use 3.4, but some requests go for 30 or 40 rules and this will aid in cleanup or RACF which has been neglected.

The only issues thus far I can see is in DFSMS you use two ** for multiple groups and i have not investigated the RACF dataset rules yet, I see some rules with a single * and need to understand the behaivioru in RACF.... Of course options in the abackup need to be set to look on dasd, migrated and tape.

I looked first without success in several manuals.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobGilbert,

You mean FILTEROUTPUTDATASET masking rules? Here is a link which explains in detail about ABACKUP command along with examples.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2S6A2/2.2

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
BobGilbert
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the actual masking rules, like use ** instead of * to get all levels etc, for example a mask of ABCD*.ABCD would pick up datasets ABCD.ONE.ABCD but not ABCD.ONE.TWO.ABCD, use ABCD.**.ABCD to pickup ABCD.ONE.TWO.ABCD etc., I was hoping to find the mask rules documented. These rules may not be only relevant to DFSMSHSM, not sure. I need to see if there are diferances between dataset rules in RACF and DFSMSHSM, or do they all follow the same syntax? Hope that is clear.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobGilbert wrote:
I don't see the actual masking rules, like use ** instead of * to get all levels etc, for example a mask of ABCD*.ABCD would pick up datasets ABCD.ONE.ABCD but not ABCD.ONE.TWO.ABCD, use ABCD.**.ABCD to pickup ABCD.ONE.TWO.ABCD etc., I was hoping to find the mask rules documented. These rules may not be only relevant to DFSMSHSM, not sure. I need to see if there are diferances between dataset rules in RACF and DFSMSHSM, or do they all follow the same syntax? Hope that is clear.

I am guessing that it is quite similar to ADRDSSU filtering. May be this would help?

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ADR5R104/2.2?

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
BobGilbert
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is exactly what I was searching for, thank you very much! Now I will try my luck searching in RACF data name masks and see the differences! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: