MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charges on the Mainframe

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed.sam13
Beginner

Topics: 11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Charges on the Mainframe Reply with quote

Why is there a TI charge on the Mainframe still? I am a Mainframer for the past decade and definitely a fan of them. Lately with private Clouds and other advanced technologies floating around the TI charge on the Mainframe makes it really less competetive. Lately we turned over all our batch jobs to spring batch for no time advantage. But there was significant cost savings. Also companies blindly dont encourage any new opportunities or a research on any mainframe tools because Mainframe technology has been downgraded from "Invest" to "Maintain" Status.

My personal opinion - If Big Blue doesnt reduce the TI charges i'm afraid Mainframes will move towards extinction sooner than expected. Now that the IT market is picking up a decision to move away from Mainframe is not a difficult choice to make for companies.

Any thoughts?
ed.sam13
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt this a right question? Nobody else is facing what I am facing?
Terry_Heinze
Supermod

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a TI charge?
William Collins
Supermod

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 175 Bhats per hour.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Charges on the Mainframe Reply with quote

ed.sam13 wrote:
Why is there a TI charge on the Mainframe still? I am a Mainframer for the past decade and definitely a fan of them. Lately with private Clouds and other advanced technologies floating around the TI charge on the Mainframe makes it really less competetive.

You may want to read this article from Forbes.

Digital? Cloud? Modern And Cost-Effective? Surprise! It's The Mainframe

ed.sam13 wrote:

My personal opinion - If Big Blue doesnt reduce the TI charges i'm afraid Mainframes will move towards extinction sooner than expected.

What is TI charges?

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
ed.sam13
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By TI charges i meant the usage costs. When you read in the news that NASA unplugs mainframes or NYSE unplugs mainframes, isnt it discouraging to the Mainframe Developer. If you dig thru on the reason for the unplug, its definitely the high usage costs although everyone would agree they are awesome machines.

Even on the z13 release presentation it was mentioned that IBM does not hope any new clients would buy them but expects that some existing clients may want this update.

On one of the Eagle studies presentation, where there a comparison between a Mainframe and Distributed server, more than the explanation on why the Mainframe is still better, it says companies will have to incur high migration costs or that most migrations were halted midway because of a economic downturn or the project manager got fired etc.

It would be stupid to suggest that Mainframe become another distributed server but my personal opinion - If there is a more competetive charging model, it may still be very competetive.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed.sam13 wrote:
Even on the z13 release presentation it was mentioned that IBM does not hope any new clients would buy them but expects that some existing clients may want this update.

ed.sam13,

Do you have the presentation/URL handy about the above mentioned?

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
ed.sam13
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I misquoted the source. But it was a article on techcrunch & Reuters

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/13/the-new-ibm-z13-is-not-your-fathers-mainframe/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/28/us-ibm-mainframe-idUSBRE87R03S20120828
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: