MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Propagating CICS data table update to other CICS regions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manu
Beginner

Topics: 19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Propagating CICS data table update to other CICS regions Reply with quote

There is a CICS data table which is shared by many regions.The table can be updated by only one region and is there a way to propagate the change to all other regions with out opening/closing the file in all other regions or implementing something like a FOR in which the file will defined as remote in all but one CICS region.Please let me know

I am aware of batch utilities which can be scheduled to open or close files.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manu,

Shared data tables are quite similar to VSAM files. So if you need your AOR applications to access the data then you need to define the shared data table with RLS mode.

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
manu
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kolusu,
Thanks for the reply. I believe it cannot be in RLS mode. See below excerpt from IBM knowledge center. Please let me know if I am missing something.

CICS-maintained data table is a data table whose records are automatically reflected in the source data set; when you update the file, CICS changes both the source data set and the data table.

A CICS-maintained data table is easy to implement--you need to know little about the data table services, you do not need to change your existing application programs, and full recovery support of the file is retained. CICS-maintained data tables are discussed in more detail in CICS-maintained data tables. A data set being accessed in Record Level Sharing (RLS)mode cannot be used as the source for a CICS-maintained data table. The source data set must be accessed in non-RLS mode.

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGMGV_3.1.0/com.ibm.cics.ts31.doc/dfhf1/dfhf1k1.htm
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manu,

I think you are confusing your data tables with CICS-maintained data table (CMT) vs User-maintained data table (UMT). It is true that CMT canNOT have RLS Mode, however you can have the RLS mode on the UMT's. I believe that you are having an UMT and not a CMT

manu
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolusu,

I double checked it and it is defined as CICS table type in the FCT and it is not USER.It contains reference data and it can be updated in one AOR. The changes are propagated to to other AORs now by closing and opening the VSAM file using a CAFC batch utility program.There is some time delay between the open and close of the VSAM files and we are trying to stop the abends in the time happening between close and open of files.The CICS regions are brought down and up once in every two weeks and some of the updates cannot wait for that long.The time between the open and close in the CAFC jobs which are in subsequent steps of a JCL takes about 15 sec causing the abends. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
manu
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that we have plan on moving this to a DB2 table or something similar in the longer term but looking at short term option of reloading of the data in to CICS memory for each AOR after any updates in one particular AOR with out causing abends due to file being closed.Thanks
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manu wrote:
Kolusu,

I double checked it and it is defined as CICS table type in the FCT and it is not USER.It contains reference data and it can be updated in one AOR. The changes are propagated to to other AORs now by closing and opening the VSAM file using a CAFC batch utility program.There is some time delay between the open and close of the VSAM files and we are trying to stop the abends in the time happening between close and open of files.The CICS regions are brought down and up once in every two weeks and some of the updates cannot wait for that long.The time between the open and close in the CAFC jobs which are in subsequent steps of a JCL takes about 15 sec causing the abends. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Manu,

I am not really 100% sure that your table is a CICS maintained table as "A CICS-maintained data table is a data table whose records are automatically reflected in the source data set; when you update the file, CICS changes both the source data set and the data table."

Why don't you do an INQUIRE FILE on the table and see what it returns.

If the value CICSTABLE is returned, the file has been defined as a CICS-maintained data table.
If the value USERTABLE is returned, the file has been defined as a user-maintained data table.
If the value CFTABLE is returned, the file has been defined as a coupling facility data table.
If the value NOTTABLE is returned, the file is not currently defined as a data table.

manu
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kolusu,

Yes.It is a CICS table. I got the below after I did INQUIRE FILE

Table( Cicstable )

The same dataset is shared across multiple AORs and it is getting updated by CICS on only one AOR. The updates gets to the other AORs only if the file is closed and opened again. The open/close causes many abends and we are trying to limit it..Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: