MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LISTCAT or OUTTRAP limitation and circumvention?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim.dillon@sentry.com
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: LISTCAT or OUTTRAP limitation and circumvention? Reply with quote

I have the following code in a REXX exec that is running in batch TSO with a region of 0M:
Code:

x = outtrap("LISTCAT.","*","NOCONCAT")
"LISTCAT LVL(CL)"                     
retcode = rc                           
x = outtrap("OFF")                     

The output tells me that the LISTCAT is ending with a return code of 8 and message "IDC3037I STORAGE FOR NUMBER OF ENTRIES EXCEEDS 16M LIMIT"

What is interesting is that I can issue the same LISTCAT command in a batch IDCAMS job with a default region of 4M and it runs to successful completion. I can also list all of these datasets in 3.4 successfully. I've varied the region size in the offending job to these values but to no avail.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim.dillon@sentry.com,

Your TSO region is driven by the LOGON proc and it probably is limited to a lower value. I am not sure about fascination towards to rexx to do these tasks. Rexx isn't an ideal tool to parse huge input.

Either way you can try limiting the number of records from LISTCAT. give a numeric value instead of * (below is an example for 99,999 entries)

Code:

x = outtrap("LISTCAT.",99999,"NOCONCAT")

Alternatively I suggest look up CSI Rexx exec IGGCSIRX in SYS1.SAMPLIB which is a much better tool and gives you more options.

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
jim.dillon@sentry.com
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kolusu,
Thanks for your reply. I opened a case with IBM. In z/OS 1.8 there was a change make to LISTCAT. This is detailed in APAR II14250. The net-net is that using 'PROFILE NOPREFIX' instead of the default 'PROFILE(....)' - I am able to get LISTCAT to work like I want it to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: