MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending email from mainframe

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misi01
Advanced

Topics: 172

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Sending email from mainframe Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can nudge my brain here. I have written a program that created a file that would be sent from TSO to Outlook via XMIT (if I remember correctly).
I do remember that I need to create the file such that it contained a table that would be viewed in Outlook, and this table had its text defined as Courier new (any other font looked ridiculous and a mess).
Trouble is, for the life of me, I can't remember what technique I used, XML or something else possibly?
Is there anyone out there who has created a "report" in a mainframe file to email such that the actual email, when read, contains proper "formatting" and that can point me in the right direction?
Thanx
misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer my own question so it might be of help to others.

MIME was what I was after. Try googling "cobol email define font" and you should find it easily.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:
I'll answer my own question so it might be of help to others.

MIME was what I was after. Try googling "cobol email define font" and you should find it easily.

misi01,

You probably should try "Search" THIS forum first and may be your own posts first, so that you can find the answer.

Something like this

https://www.mvsforums.com/helpboards/viewtopic.php?t=12882&highlight=email

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken and the egg, Kolusu, chicken and the egg. To search this forum, I need to know what to search for. Tried "mail" for this forum, but the link which you included wasn't one of the hits (not did mime give a hit either).
Nonetheless, grateful for the link, since the next problem would have been remembering how to set specific text to a specific colour (which the link included).
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:
Chicken and the egg, Kolusu, chicken and the egg. To search this forum, I need to know what to search for. Tried "mail" for this forum, but the link which you included wasn't one of the hits (not did mime give a hit either).
Nonetheless, grateful for the link, since the next problem would have been remembering how to set specific text to a specific colour (which the link included).

misi01,

I just searched for the word email and the posted link was the 10th one on the result list.

If I had to narrow down the results then I could have used author as "misi01" and then the result would be the 2nd one as the first one is this topic that you just opened.

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And therein lies the rub, the search engine.
Here's my search for this forum using the key word mail (I was going to include an image, but don't know how to do it using the Img tag).
Basically, I received 19 hits with this thread being the first. Of the other 18, none were started by me.
Using email as the search word, I received 2 pages with 3 on the first page being started by me.
The first was this one, then there were 2 with the titles "ODO problem ......" and "COBOL shop standards".
Summa summarum, we seem to be getting different results.
(as to searching for me as the author. You're assuming that I remember I started a similar thread 3 years ago. Very Happy Very Happy )
(If it's of any interest, I can send you the screen captures for the 2 searches offline)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: