MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Specifying source copybook PDS's using File manager IDz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misi01
Advanced

Topics: 172

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Specifying source copybook PDS's using File manager IDz Reply with quote

When I follow the instructions documented by Peter Vandyke, one the first of the panels talks about
Quote:

On the next panel choose the CC Create template from copybook. Make sure you have "/" next to / Advanced copybook selection

which, on the next panel allows you to specify various PDS's where potential copybooks are defined. As a result, I can define a production PDS and then specify the copybook I want to use in FM as
Code:

01  kft135-group.             
    05  orgnr    pic 9(12).   
    05  copyname pic x(30).   
    copy kft135.             

where kft135 is defined in the production PDS. However ...... when I try anything similar to this in FM in IDZ, I receive the following FM compiler
listing
Quote:

LineID Message code Library phase message text

14 IGYLI0048-S The member "KFT135" was not found in the "COPY" library. Skipped to the period terminating the "COPY"
statement.
-Messages Total Informational Warning Error Severe Terminating
0Printed: 1 1
LineID PL SL ----+-*A-1-B--+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7-|--+----8 Map and Cross Reference
000001 Identification Division.
000002 Program-ID. FMNDUMMY.
000003 Environment Division.
000004 Configuration Section.
000005 Source-Computer. IBM-370.
000006 Object-Computer. IBM-370.
000008 Data Division.
000009 Working-Storage Section.
000011 01 kft135-group.
000012 05 orgnr pic 9(12).
000013 05 copyname pic x(30).
000014 copy kft135.
000015 Procedure Division.

This is obviously because I haven't been able to/had the opportunity to specify where various copybooks can be stored in the mainframe.
Does anyone have an idea?
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01,

The message IGYLI0048-S is COBOL compiler message which is looking at the DDNAME SYSLIB. So whatever you have defined for SYSLIB in FM panels you need to update it to have the new dataset names concatenated to it.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/file-manager-for-zos/14.1?topic=fields-set-cobol-processing-options-panel-option-052

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a misunderstanding there.

I was looking for a way of defining MF copybook PDS's so that FM in IDz could find/use them.
After some experimentation, I finally found the way to do it (I think).
Open/select the FM perspective.
Right-click on the relevant System and select
Select Compiler Options (if you're in the right place, this should be immediately under Change Password))
This is where you can specify extra COBOL SYSLIB libraries (remember to specify the fully qualified MF PDS name without surrounding quotes)

Okay - that got me so far.

Now I'm wondering whether it's possible to create a new template for a file in IDz.
I can use one that's already been defined in the MF via Peter's instructions, but for the life of me, I haven't been able to figure out how to define a new member in the existing template PDS.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:

Now I'm wondering whether it's possible to create a new template for a file in IDz.
I can use one that's already been defined in the MF via Peter's instructions, but for the life of me, I haven't been able to figure out how to define a new member in the existing template PDS.

misi01,

Did you try this?

Once connected to the system (Under Remote systems), look under My Datasetes . Now right click on your Template PDS and then choose File Manager >> Create Template or Template Editor

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/SSXJAV_14.1.0/com.ibm.filemanager.doc_14.1/cust/graphics/rdz.gif

misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't get that to work.
We have a number of connections, let's call them SB01 through SB10. SB04 and SB08 are the connections to our test SYSPLEX and where we do , basically, all our work.
I did as you said, and selected My Datasets .
Quote:
Now right click on your Template PDS and then choose File Manager >> Create Template or Template Editor.

Trouble is, I start getting prompted for my PW to all the connections apart from SB04 (which is the connection I'm using for My Datasets - and to which I'm already connected).
For each connection, I press Cancel (since they're not of interest). After cycling through all the connects (apart from SB04 and SB08) I receive the message
Quote:

Select resource is invalid for Template Editor. Resource S6843F.FMAN.XREF

(the file being, of course, the one I use either in the MF or via FMAN in IDz).

I managed to circumvent this prompting for all Connections by selecting Window, Preferences, File Manager, RSE Integration and then marking the Bypass Login .... option, so that solved that problem.

So my problem is twofold it seems.

[list=]I can't follow your instructions (or those from the link what is basically what I'm seeing)
    [list=]Since I can't follow them, I can't see how I'm supposed to create a new template in an existnig template PDS on the MF

(Apropos that. As you can see, my attempt at creating a list above failed. How do you create a simple list in this forum ? When do I select the List button and when the List= one))
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:

(Apropos that. As you can see, my attempt at creating a list above failed. How do you create a simple list in this forum ? When do I select the List button and when the List= one))

misi01,

Code:

[list]
[*]item list-1
[*]item list-2
[*]item list-3
[/list]

will produce

• item list-1
  • item list-2
  • item list-3

Code:

[list=1]
[*]abc
[*]def
[*]ghi
[/list]

will produce

1. abc
  2. def
  3. ghi

Code:

[list=a]
[*]one
[*]two
[*]three
[/list]

will produce

1. one
  2. two
  3. three

kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:
Couldn't get that to work.
Quote:

Select resource is invalid for Template Editor. Resource S6843F.FMAN.XREF

(the file being, of course, the one I use either in the MF or via FMAN in IDz).

misi01,

I am not sure why you want to replicate everything that you can do on the mainframe in the PLUG-IN of IDZ. You could have created a new template on the mainframe quite easily, but you spend numerous hours to get something that doesn't obviously work.

Secondly, I suggest you spend time reading the documentation.

From IDZ Menu >> Help >>>> Help Contents>>> IBM File Manager User Guide >> Template Editor >>> Overview of Base Template Editor or other sections

if the documentation does NOT work on your systems, then you need to get your sysadmins to add the functionality or open a defect with RDZ to show the documented feature does not work as shown.

misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for the LIST explanation.

Second.
I agree with you in the sense I can do the job on the mainframe and that works fine (again, thanks to Peter's excellent documentation).
But .... is it not possible that some installations could have the FM plug-in in IDz without having an FM license on the mainframe ?
It doesn't seem very impressive that IBM have s/w that no-one knows how to use (I obviously mean the IDz plug-in)
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misi01 wrote:

But .... is it not possible that some installations could have the FM plug-in in IDz without having an FM license on the mainframe ?

misi01,

A license is mandatory, however remember you need to have secure connection and maintain security features of the mainframe. So a scaled down version of FM is available as Plug-in

misi01 wrote:

It doesn't seem very impressive that IBM have s/w that no-one knows how to use (I obviously mean the IDz plug-in)

How did you reach to the conclusion that NO ONE knows? Please do NOT pass judgements in haste. You need to spend time reading the documentation and as I said earlier , open a ticket with IBM if a DOCUMENTED FEATURE does NOT Work and they will gladly either explain it or take a defect.

misi01
Advanced

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll open a ticket then as you suggest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Utilities All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: