MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a utility to generate copybooks from a load module?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okonita
Beginner

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Is there a utility to generate copybooks from a load module? Reply with quote

Hello all,
Is there any utility available that can take a load module and generate the copybooks for VSAM files that were used in the programs? I not only want to know the record length at the time, I also want to know the columns? Is this possible?

For example, I am missing a copy layout of a VSAM dataset we have in our shop. I need to determine the record layout for the file at a specific point in time using the load module of a program that reads/writes to the dataset.

Thanks
bablack
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any utility available that can take a load module and generate the copybooks for VSAM files that were used in the programs?

Sorry, no. The load module doesn't contain any info about the record layouts. It would be an impossible job for a program to analyze the machine instructions in a load module and try to figure out the size and type of record field.

kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okonita,

Quote:

For example, I am missing a copy layout of a VSAM dataset we have in our shop. I need to determine the record layout for the file at a specific point in time using the load module of a program that reads/writes to the dataset.

Can't you just look at the source and see the file definition? Am I missing something here?
Do you mean to say that you just have a loadlib but you lost your source??

Kolusu

PS: Please do not post the same topic in more than 1 forum. I deleted your duplicate post.
slade
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

While you can't use a load module to get copybook data, your shop my keep back (archival) versions of your production pgms. If so recompile the appropriate version in the test environment to get the info.

Regards, Jack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Data Management All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: