MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"searching for topics before posting"

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> About Mvsforums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubt_man
Beginner

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: "searching for topics before posting" Reply with quote

hi all,
i have seen many members complaining abt people asking silly questions without searching the forum first. to tell you the truth i also have did it once. one friend told me about this great site in which if you ask your doubts , they will clear it with minimum time. so i stright away came and posted the doubt without giving a search(cauz i urgently needed a solution and i think same is the case with any fresher who does this). but now when i came to know that there may be related topics available,i am nowadays searching for a topic before i make a post.
i think the experienced people will be frustrated when they see these silly questions. so if we can include a feature which automatically search(based on the subject of posting) the previous posts when a person is attempting to post a new doubt , it would be so helpful. not only the person asking question immediatly gets the answer and the experienced people wont see these silly questions again.

Any way , All you guys are doing a wonderful job. Thanks everybody.

thanks
doubt_man.
Dibakar
Advanced

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt searching on subject will work, except for experienced posters. If you are not careful about what you put in the subject then you might get too many, or too few matches. Moreover entire process could be irritating.

In my opinion, in addition to search link a small search window could be provided to do a quick search based on some default settings.

Diba.
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtman,

It would be a huge task for me to do a automated search for every question posted here. For example take your case it self, you posted a question in utilities forums with subject name as topic title when you actually needed a sumsort of specific records. If I had to search by topic title, I would just be searching for JCL, SORT, COBOL, DB2...

Techincally speaking, the first thing you see on the helpboards is the posting rules. The very first rule is about SEARCH.

If people cannot follow such simple rules then there is nothing that we can do.

I am not putting down your suggestion , as there is already something similar in the works. I just do not get enough time to put it together.

It will take some time and I am not sure when I can implement it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kolusu

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> About Mvsforums All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: