MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Splitting a cobol program

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vasikar
Beginner

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Splitting a cobol program Reply with quote

Question
Hi, There is a cobol program of 10000 lines. It does processing and formattiong the data. Now I need to split the Program in to two (processing program and formatting program). But formatting is done all along while there is data processing. Is there any specific logical way to handle this?
zatlas
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vasikar
I saw your question in the other forum and I've seen the answers there. The 'truth' is with these guys, there is NO EASY WAY to do it and it probably SHOULD NOT BE DONE at all. However if your boss insists on it then there is no way other than doing it manually (well, they pay you for doing that and it pays the bills). There are packages to extract business rules from COBOL but they are expensive (i.e. it does not pay to purchase them for one program). So go ahead, follow the advise to print it and highlight the logic and your job is guaranteed for the next few months (testing phase included)
ZA
ganeshr
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to split the processing and formatting.
Write the processed output in a file. Use another cobol pgm to read the file and format it.

Hope answered ur question
CaptBill
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my advice in the other forum.

Also consider this: If the program is 10,000 lines long and procedural code is 60% of the lines, then you will have 6,000 lines of procedural code to work with. If you estiimate your error rate as being .1 of 1%, then that means you will make 6 errors that you might not catch.

I'm not commenting on your abilities, certainly .1 of 1% is a very small number. But given the large size of the original program, I don't see how you will have a reasonable chance of success unless you spend a very long time on the project. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: