MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selecting software development methodologies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raj051076
Beginner

Topics: 21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Selecting software development methodologies Reply with quote

Well this may be a different type of question but I am a bit curious to know what the experts think on this. Here is the question..
Suppose you have five software development methodologies available to you to execute a project and they are

Pure Waterfall
Modified Waterfall
Evolutionary prototyping
Spiral
Staged Delivery

Now while choosing one out of these methodologies
what factors will you consider and how much does each factor contribute(in a scale of 1-5, 1 being minimum contribution and 5 being maximum) to the selection of a particular methodology.

While answering this question may I also request you to let me know your experience in software industry and your role(like project leader,team member etc) in the industry.

Thanks
Rajib
semigeezer
Supermod

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. In 20 years, I've never even had to write a specification (at least, not until the code was done). We always just sat down and coded until it worked Smile The code wasn't perfect, but I doubt the addition of formal design procedures would have changed that. Granted, ours was a small team with experienced people and straightforward requirements, but at least in that environment, the "tell me what you need on Friday and I'll have it done by Monday" method worked great. Razz
raj051076
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semigeezer that is another methodology called "code and fix" and it also has its own advantages and disadvantages. In big projects "code and fix" cannot be implemented.
Manas Biswal
Intermediate

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rajib,

The answer to the question that you have asked is too long to answer here. I can however suggest you a good book for that. Go through "Software Engineering - A Practitioner's Approach" by Roger Pressman.

Regards,
Manas
Dibakar
Advanced

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rajib,

I don't know about these methods but I found a Software Life Cycle Comparison Table.

Diba.
raj051076
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Manas and Dibakar,
Thanks for the suggestions but my aim was not to go through books. I apologize here for not telling the actual purpose of posting the question here. I am trying to do a research on "how can you select the best software methodology" and so wanted to take some feed back from the experienced softaware professionals here.

Thanks
Rajib
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an old saying about software projects.
1. You can get it done on time
2. You can get it done on budget
3. You get what you ask for...
Unfortunately you can only get 2 out of the 3

However for those using software development methodologies then maybe you don't get any.....
Dibakar
Advanced

Topics: 63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rajib,

I could not figure out the best method. It seems Taltyman is right, if you try to get all 3 then you don't get any.
zatlas
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what are these methodologies but if we believe our friends in Symantec (and allegedly other companies) the best methodology on earth is eXtreme Programming (XP). Basically good ol' "Code and Fix" with a lot of spin. But the real difference between this methodology (XP) and anything else our bosses have ever dreamed about and imposed on us is what they call "Pair Programming".
Imagine that instead of sitting alone in your cubicle and do some creative coding, the two of you are sitting in that cubicle and advising each other. Just please do not leave a kitchen knife in that cubicle.
I believe that all these methodologies are somewhat stupid if you look at them more than as guidelines. The XP shows that these methodologies could evolve to something evil so we should beware!
And as we were all have been warned by Antoine De Saint-Exupery: "Children, watch out for the baobabs!"
ZA
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Startrek and the Enterprise is in trouble. Captain Kirk says to Scotty 'I need to override the molecular readjuster'. Scotty then does an internal brain scan and says 'I can link the alpha particle generator to the scuzzy IO port but it's possible that we vaporize the warp drives when I do'. Captain Kirk then pauses, weighs the pros and cons and then says ' make it so'. A tweak may need to be added, but in the end the Enterprise is saved (or at least has a fighting chance).

Uh oh, in this episode the star fleet admiral and a consultant are onboard. The consultant suggests that they should study this problem using the Feebler Truxan methodology. Since this consultant is highly paid and the star fleet admiral has just finished reading about the Feebler Truxan methodology in 'Star Fleet Today'. He overrides Captain Kirk. Minutes later they are all vaporized.

In my world the boss says to me 'I need xyz, I need it now, make it so'.
As long as the admirals, consultants and methodologies stay the heck out of the way then we've got a chance.
raj051076
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Taltyman what you are saying may be true when you are supporting a system . I am talking about developing a system. What I have felt during my 3 years of developing system and 2 years of supporting a system that a methodology is very much required while developing a system otherwise following things happen

Schedule Slip - Methodology helps in tracking the progress of the project and tries to prevent schedule slip
Feature creep - Due to the unrealistic expactations of the users feature creep might happen and without a methodology(e.g, staged delivery or evolutionary prototyping) a project may never get complete with feature creep.

There are other benefits also for choosing a methodology. Code and Fix is not possible while developing a big system..thats for sure.
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All software is code and fix at my level but then I'm pretty low on the scale.
Maybe a forum with a more 'project manager' audience would get a better response.
Just curious, is the 3 years developing and 2 years supporting a system... is that 5 years on the same system?
Could you give a very brief overview of those methodologies you refer to?

Last edited by taltyman on Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank Yaeger
Sort Forum Moderator
Sort Forum Moderator

Topics: 31

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by poster]

Last edited by Frank Yaeger on Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted by imposter

Last edited by taltyman on Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
raj051076
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most of my projects were in mainframes. We in our shop has always followed the pure waterfall model while developing an application. I know 5 years is very less an experience to try some other methodologies and with my mainframe background I feel that pure waterfall methodology is what I will mostly use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: