MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DB2 Upgrade - V8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantom
Data Mgmt Moderator
Data Mgmt Moderator

Topics: 91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: DB2 Upgrade - V8 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have least experience working with DB2 and require your support on the following (I did try to search for existing threads on this topics but could not find something that answers my question)

My shop is going to upgrade their systems to DB2 V 8 (for now and then DB2 V9). Luckily we are running on COBOL V 3 / higher - so, I don't think we have any problem with respect to COBOL compatibility.

But, I was told that DB2 V8 will not support couple of special symbols like
Code:

Cents Sign
!
Not equal Sign
^
[
]
concatenation symbol

and we have been asked to find out a list of DB2 tables that currently have these symbols so that would find the impact and take necessary action.

The question is - How do we find this list quickly - All I can think of is executing a SELECT on all DB2 tables - on All its Columns/Fields looking for the list of symbols. But I'm sure this will take ages to complete.

Is there a better way ? Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phantom
RMi
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

we have been asked to find out a list of DB2 tables that currently have these symbols so that would find the impact and take necessary action

Are you asked to find out the DB2 tables that use those obsolete special symbols or the DB2 queries using those special symbols?

If it is DB2 queries using the special symbols - why not an Endevor (or the source store in your shop) search?
Phantom
Data Mgmt Moderator
Data Mgmt Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been asked to do both and I have an answer for the second (DB2 Query Search). My only concern now is to find out the list of DB2 tables whose Data has one of the obsolete symbols.

All I could think of now is to use a Select Query on Every table in my system - on Every Column - using a Where Clause of "LIKE '%x%'" OR "LIKE '%y%'" (where x, y = Special symbols).

This is going to take ages to complete.

(OR)

Unload each DB2 table into a flat file and use a SORT / FILEAID or any other Utility to search for the special variable. This too would be difficult I believe and I am not sure whether I would have enough DASD space to allocate the huge tables.

How about Image Copies ????? Will an Image copy of a Table be same as its "Unload" version ? or will it be cryptic ? If the image copy is in an understable format, probably I could use an utility to scan it for any special variables. And I hope we have DB2 Image copies atleast every weekend.

Thanks,
Phantom
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gse-nordic.org/Working%20Groups/NRTC/Conferences/2005/DB2%20Stream/s35

not really really helpful, but informative.
dbzTHEdinosauer
Supermod

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://test.wsug-nordic.org/Working%20Groups/NRTC/Conferences/2004/DB2%20Stream/S43DV_%20DB2%20version%208%20Very%20Early%20Experiences

more of the same. could be helpful
Phantom
Data Mgmt Moderator
Data Mgmt Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Dick,

I went through the documents that you sent me. I learned lot of things about the version incompatibilities etc...but it does not specifically talk about the table scan that I was looking for.

Once again thanks for your response,

Regards,
Phantom
jsharon1248
Intermediate

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean when you state
Quote:

But, I was told that DB2 V8 will not support couple of special symbols like
Cents Sign
!
Not equal Sign
^
[
]
concatenation symbol

I'm running V8 and inserted a row with the characters you listed. Where did you get your information that there is no support for these characters?

[code:1:81efeb186a]
---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
DECLARE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE X1 (COL_1 VARCHAR(25))
ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS;
DSNE616I STATEMENT EXECUTION WAS SUCCESSFUL, SQLCODE IS 0
INSERT INTO SESSION.X1 (COL_1) VALUES '!
Phantom
Data Mgmt Moderator
Data Mgmt Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not being clear on my requirement.

It seems DB2 V8 can hold these symbols in the database, but when these are moved to Host / output variables for display, it appears that DB2 translates these to a different EBCDIC code sequence and hence these symbols would look junk.

In order to avoid this, we need to scan list of impacted tables and take necessary action.

Thanks,
Phantom
jsharon1248
Intermediate

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be patient as I'm still struggling to fully understand the problem. I never heard of DB2 'translating' anything the way you describe it. The example that I posted is using SPUFI, which is just a program using dynamic SQL. I didn't encounter any translations. The values I INSERTED into the table are the values displayed when I ran the SELECT. Are you possibly talking about remote connections from different platforms that connect to the z/OS DB? If this is the case, your DBA should be able to setup a the equivalent of a translation table in the SYSIBM.SYSTRINGS table. I've seen this done but have not personally set one up. I think you would rebind the apps that need the conversion and reference the custom CCSID there, so you wouldn't have any app changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Database All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: