MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blog on one of the Forums!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bharath.AK
Beginner

Topics: 10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Blog on one of the Forums! Reply with quote

Moderators showing their personal frustration on the members:

http://stuffycrap.wordpress.com/2008/03/31/technical-forum/

I wish we (mvsforums.com) won't have a bad reputation!

***** " If You Have To Do It, You Might As Well Do It Right.....If It Is Worth Doing At All, It's Worth Doing It Right !!! " *****
superk
Advanced

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Bharath.AK
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are absolutely correct... but at the same time, people are not so foolish to post the blogs with no reason... right?
anyways, I'm glad mvsforums understands the situation of the members.. atleast here members are intimated for wotever they do - wrong or correct..
Banning is so easy, but shouldn't be done for every small reasons..
Thanks for your time to respond to my message..
Good day!

***** " If You Have To Do It, You Might As Well Do It Right.....If It Is Worth Doing At All, It's Worth Doing It Right !!! " *****
semigeezer
Supermod

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah! That is just hogwash. The reason that there is strife here and on most other technical boards is that there are so many posters that won't do basic research before asking a question. I know, this is a trolling post, but I can't resist. The idea that someone would ask questions like "my customer wrote a program called xxx. can anyone tell me how it works?" (which came in this week) or "can I copy members from a PDS to another PDS?" (also this week), or the several-times-a-day "I got an error - help!" without even saying what the error was, is ridiculous. Yes, it is possible to answer those questions, but a bulletin board is the wrong place to ask. So, although others may quibble with my exact priorities, try this order:
  1. Look for documentation (Site specific, then vendor). RTFM
  2. Ask a co-worker. If they don't know ask a few more.
  3. Look for similar things already on your system. Use ISRDDN. Use SDSF (or IOF, Sysview, etc). Use Help (F1 in most products). Use QuickRef if you have it.
  4. Google is your friend. Don't just look at web searches. Search newsgroups also.
  5. After you have exhausted other possibilities go to the option of last resort -- a bulletin board.

Why is a BB the option of last resort?
  • For simple things, you are wasting peoples time doing your work.
  • For more complex questions, board participants don't know your site, your customers, your procedures, your authorities, or, considering the way most questions are asked, what you are trying to accomplish.
  • Because most questions are ambiguously stated, I dare say, that at least 70% of the answers on these boards are simply wrong. Eventually most threads get close to a reasonable answer, but the number of answers that start with 'The blahblah command will do what you want' where blahblah is a locally written command is astounding. Even worse, are the answers that end with 'correct me if I'm wrong'. Those answers are almost always wrong.
  • Finally, if someone is willing to do your job for you and hand you code (which, I admit is sometimes really fun to do, so I'm not saying that never happens), then unless you study that code and maybe ask questions about it, it is unlikely that you will learn anything, and you've gained nothing.

Bharath.AK
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill... no hard feelings/statements please...

acevedo
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we say here 'semigeezer pudo decirlo m
taltyman
JCL Forum Moderator
JCL Forum Moderator

Topics: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BB is just a reflection of real life. I've worked at places where the same stuff happened. It was more prevalent 10-20 years ago but with right-sizing, off-shoring, etc the survivors where I'm at are fairly grizzled veterans. Personally I come here less and less after growing weary of seeing the same or similar questions coming in repeatedly. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Related Non-Technical Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: