IEFUTL4 - wait time limit extended
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Problem Determination

#1: IEFUTL4 - wait time limit extended Author: mkusamy PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:42 am
    —
In one of my job log I could see the below IEFUTL message.

Code:
05.52.21 JOB01866  -JOBNAME  STEPNAME PROCSTEP    RC    I/O   CPUTIME                   ELAPSED
05.52.21 JOB01866  IEFUTL4 - wait time limit extended for #RCM1526  001 TIME
07.00.35 JOB01866  -#RCM1526 RENAME   SERV         0   1820  00:00:32.17               02:37:43.80

The procedure SERV use to take few seconds to rename around 600 datasets. But in this case, surprisingly, SERV's Elapsed time is 02:37:43.80 but its CPU time is quiet usual.

Even, if any one of the dataset is being exclusively used (DISP=OLD) by another job/user, SERV will simply print a warning message and will proceed with the next dataset.

So could any one please elaborate the exact meaning of IEFUTL4 and also explain what makes the system to print this message?

Thanks,

#2:  Author: Bill DennisLocation: Iowa, USA PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 am
    —
When the JOB has been in a WAIT for the limit specified in the SMFPRMxx member in PARMLIB then system exit IEFUTL is invoked. The exit can determine whether the job should get an extension (as yours did) or be terminated.

Perhaps the program was waiting to rename a dataset that was in use?

The step seems to have completed OK anyway (RC=0).

#3:  Author: mkusamy PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:54 am
    —
Thanks Dennis.

Quote:
Perhaps the program was waiting to rename a dataset that was in use?

But, as I already stated
Quote:
Even, if any one of the dataset is being exclusively used (DISP=OLD) by another job/user, SERV will simply print a warning message and will proceed with the next dataset.

SERV will not wait even if the dataset is already in use.

#4:  Author: Bill DennisLocation: Iowa, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:21 am
    —
There might be other causes such as volume "reserves" or catalog contention. No way to tell what caused the wait.

MVSFORUMS.com -> Problem Determination

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1