How DD name is mapped to File-control in cobol
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MVSFORUMS.com -> Application Programming

#1: How DD name is mapped to File-control in cobol Author: kanitha-mvs PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:14 am
    —
Hi,

In most of the jobs, JCL is having a DD name and the cobol program has some prefix added to the DD present in JCL. How is this mapping done?

Eg: In jcl its like "XXX DD DSN=A1.EX.DSN, "
In FILE-CONTROL of cobol, its like

FILE-CONTROL.
SELECT COB-FILE ASSIGN TO UT-S-XXX.

Thanks.

#2:  Author: dbzTHEdinosauerLocation: germany PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:50 am
    —
perform a search on the programmers guide for your cobol version on the keyword assignment-name.

follow the links and read the explanations given.

This link will list all COBOL Manuals. Find the one for your cobol version and environment.

#3:  Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:27 am
    —
Dick has given a correct direction, However, for my .02$... percept this
Code:
as
Code:
SELECT logical-file-name ASSIGN TO UT-S-DDname.
DDname is common between COBOL program and JCL so that's where connectivity comes in.

In UT-S, "UT" is meant for "Utility-Only Access" and "S" for sequential. They are optional prefixes.

#4:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:01 pm
    —
Anuj Dhawan wrote:
Dick has given a correct direction, However, for my .02$... percept this
Code:
as
Code:
SELECT logical-file-name ASSIGN TO UT-S-DDname.
DDname is common between COBOL program and JCL so that's where connectivity comes in.

In UT-S, "UT" is meant for "Utility-Only Access" and "S" for sequential. They are optional prefixes.

huh? where did you get that definition? UT stands for Unit Transfer. for more information read here

http://www.mvsforums.com/helpboards/viewtopic.php?p=7137#7137

#5:  Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:04 am
    —
Hi Kolusu,

I've never heard if "UT" stands for "Unit Transfer", what I know is

First part in DDNAME: - Device Class
UT stands for Utility (Tape or Sequential Disk, and they should be OPENed in input mode as far as COBOL goes)
DA stands for Direct-Access (disk)

Second part in DDNAME: - Method of Organization
S

#6:  Author: kolusuLocation: San Jose PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:16 am
    —
Anuj Dhawan,

I couldn't find the documentation which mentions UT as unit of transfer. I remember reading it as unit of transfer.

Anyway if any of the senior members know the exact definition it would be great

Kolusu

#7:  Author: Anuj DhawanLocation: Mumbai,India PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:43 am
    —
Sure Kolusu, I look forward to that. Meanwhile if I found something on that I'll post here.

I know it's very trivial to know this in the time of Enterprise COBOL but sometimes curiosity kills you... Smile

Have a good one,

MVSFORUMS.com -> Application Programming

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1