MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RSP and RPC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jai
Beginner

Topics: 20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: RSP and RPC Reply with quote

Hi Experts,

I have some doubts regarding the difference between the RSP(Remote stored Procedure) and RPC(Remote Procedure call) in Mainframes ??
Those are ....

1. Whenever CICS is used, we can tell that it is RSP and not RPC. Why do we need CICS in RSP? and what is the significance of that.
2. Why memory is allocated dynamically in RSP.
3. I think RSP is called by driver program. Why do we need driver
program or why can't we call it directly? What is the concept behind Long name and short name.
4. In which case we have to go for RSP & RPC?
I have read some documents..but was not clear with that..
Please clarify on this ..

Thanks in advance.

Have a Great Day.
bidpar
Beginner

Topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Whenever CICS is used, we can tell that it is RSP and not RPC. Why do we need CICS in RSP? and what is the significance of that.

I am not sure what are you trying to say here. CICS can be used in many ways. As a front end as well as to invoke cobol programs in mainframe from client-server front end. I think you are refering to the later situation. If you have some client-server front end like VB, Powerbuilder and your backend is VSAM or DB2 then you can invoke COBOL programs which will run in mainframe and pass the data back to the front end thru CICS. Another way is to define the cobol programs as DB2 stored procedures and run them. These CICS-COBOL programs are called RSPs(Remote Stored Procedures) because these procedures(programs) are remotely stored (not localy in PC)in mainframe.
I dont know about RPCs(Remote Procedure Calls). I have heard of them in UNIX environment.

Quote:
2. Why memory is allocated dynamically in RSP.

Not sure what this means.

Quote:
3. I think RSP is called by driver program. Why do we need driver
program or why can't we call it directly? What is the concept behind Long name and short name.

I think your system is designed in the following way. The driver programs are CICS programs. They in turn called the COBOL-DB2 subroutines which process request and passback data thru CICS. You can also submit JCLs thru these CICS programs. No idea what is Long name or short name.

Quote:
4. In which case we have to go for RSP & RPC?

Again both the names are confusing as the literal meaning of both of them is almost the same. I cannot tell anything about RPC as I dont know about it.

All of my above observations are based on guess. Probably you have to give some more details about your system and hopefully somebody in this forum will help you out.

Warm Regards
Bidpar
Jai
Beginner

Topics: 20

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bidpar,

Thanks a lot! U correctly told about the first point that it involves VB as a front-end.
My System's Front-End is VB(which is migrating to Dot Net) and backend is DB2 or Flat Files in Mainframes and that is connected to Mainframes through Shadow Server(Middleware) and the Old Modules(developed 4 years back) has normally RSPs(Remote Stored Procedure) which is having one Driver Program through which all the other programs(RSPs) are called. It is not possible to call the other RSPs directly.And the System which is developed later(before 2 years or so) is using RPCs(Remote Procedure Call)which is also having the same logic more or less(also conected through Shadow Server as middleware) but in RPCs CICS won't be used at all.

Long Name is the name used by VB in the Front-End which is mapped to short name in the Mainframes(which is stored in Table)so that length won't be a constraint in mainframes.All the short names will be of 8 characters.

I know some of the things regarding this RSP's and RPC's(basic identification feature is that if CICS is involved, then we can surely say that it is RSP) but still if some experienced person in this field, can come forward and can share his knowledge regarding this, it will be useful to explore more in this field.

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: