MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFTP MVS TO Windows system - UN/PW Authentication Required

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightycpa
Beginner

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: SFTP MVS TO Windows system - UN/PW Authentication Required Reply with quote

Hi,

PREFACE: I cannot exaggerate my ignorance about MVS and how it all works. So please be kind, thorough and specific. Thanks.

We're trying to help our client send us a file using SFTP from Mainframe to Windows. Our Windows SFTP server does not support private key authentication. The problem seems to be the password. Authentication with the host appears to happen before the FTP command file is used. SFTP typically uses key authentication.

According to MVS log file, the client command line is this:

Code:
usage: sftp -1246Cpqrv -B buffer_size -b batchfile -c cipher -D sftp_server_path -F ssh_config -i identity_file -l  limit -o ssh_option -P port -R num_requests -S program s subsystem | sftp_serverhost                                                                                       

examples:                                                                         
    sftp user@host:file ...                                                                                                                                                                             
    sftp user@host:dir/
    sftp -b batchfile user@host         

There is no provision for specifying the password on the command line.

There is a provision for an identity file, the -i option.

I found this on the web:https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac55462_.htm

Quote:

IBM Integration Bus, Version 9.0.0.8 Operating Systems: AIX, HP-Itanium, Linux, Solaris, Windows, z/OS

You can also configure a connection to an SFTP server to use Public Key authentication, by specifying an SSH identity file and pass phrase, instead of a password. For example:

mqsisetdbparms MyBroker -n sftp::myidentity -u myuserid -i identity_file -r passphrase

but I'm not sure if it applies to MVS or not. I also found this:
http://www.scottklement.com/presentations/Setting%20up%20and%20Scripting%20the%20OpenSSH,%20SFTP%20and%20SCP%20Utilities%20on%20IBM%20i.pdf pp 36 - 40. Long story short, this says that you need a 3rd party tool that, from what I gather, intercepts text sent to MVS, compares it to the message you're looking for, and intervenes by sending the expected keystroke response. Sounds klugey to me, but again, I'm ignorant. Maybe it works really well.

So what I need is the kind of help where somebody can tell me how to accomplish the task. I cannot execute your suggestions. I have to pass them along to our client in Brazil and wait for an answer.

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> TSO and ISPF All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: