MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MQ - Act on some messages immediately and others later

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim haire
Beginner

Topics: 40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: MQ - Act on some messages immediately and others later Reply with quote

I haven't worked with MQ for quite awhile, but I seem to remember that I could do something like this. I am wondering if this is a good design.

There are two different CICS screens. One of the screens puts out a message that identifies an action to be taken every evening. These messages would be written very infrequently. The other screen puts out messages that identify an action to be taken immediately. These would be written more frequently, but generally not more than a couple times a week.

My thought is that I would put a listener on the MQ that would look at every message that hits the queue. This would trigger a batch program to be run which would interrogate the contents of the message.

If the message was of the type where the action needed to be taken that evening, it would ignore the message and leave the record on the queue. If it was of the type that action needed to be taken immediately, it would perform the needed actions and remove the message from the queue.
(Note: One of the actions is to delete sequential files, so didn't want to do this from CICS).

Finally, a daily batch job will run in the evening to read the queue and pick up the messages which are of the type that the action is to be taken in the evening. It would delete those MQ messages when finished taking that action.

Your thoughts?
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim haire,

If your version of MQ supports JMS 2.0 then you can use setDeliveryDelay function for the messages that don't require immediate action.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q119200_.htm

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
jim haire
Beginner

Topics: 40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kolusu. I will take a look at this link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: