MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference for IMS DB

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Other Technical Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manas Biswal
Intermediate

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reference for IMS DB Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

There may be a possibility that I may have to work in a CICS-IMS DB system soon. So, I have to get some knowledge of IMS DB soon. Can you suggest some starting point reference for the same. Free materials will be appreciated Very Happy but If there is something really worthy of buying, I don't mind that. I was going thru some COBOL-IMS programs and the programming part did not look tht difficult, but I have always worked with RDBMS and so the hierarchial concepts are alien to me.
I would ideally like something which explains the hierarchial concepts with examples and gives an introduction to programming in COBOL-IMS. Concise reference material will be great. I have no plans to become a IMS DBA. I just need something to get myself started.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Manas
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manas,

Check this link for a detailed explanation of hierarchial Databases with examples.

http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/DB/Intro/heirarchical_databases.html

Now for the IMS programming concepts.You can start with IBM manuals.They are free and can be downloaded to your PC (PDF) . Check this link for V8 Application Programming: Database Manager.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DFSP30F3/CCONTENTS?DT=20020906093406

I would also recommend to buy the books written by Steve Eckols. He has 2 books one for IMS DB and other for IMS DC. I have both of them and they are very useful.

Here is the ISBN for IMS DB book : 0911625291
Here is the ISBN for IMS DC book : 0911625305

Hope this helps...

cheers

kolusu
Manas Biswal
Intermediate

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Kolusu. I will go thru the links you have suggested. Someone else was also recommending the book by Steve Eckols. I will of course buy the book if I finally get allocated to the IMS project.
Regards,
Manas
pacurless
Beginner

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this for a high level overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMS/DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Other Technical Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: