MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CICS + MQSeries

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manas Biswal
Intermediate

Topics: 27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: CICS + MQSeries Reply with quote

Hi all,

My work with MQSeries has been limited to application programming. I put messages to queues, get messages from queues (well the queue name are generally told to me or are in the specs). I would like some information about how MQSeries is actually set up on OS/390.
Suppose I have two development CICS regions under the same TSO region. How will it work with the same QM. I have copies of the same application on both the CICS regions. How will the application which sends messages to the mainframe QM know which set of application(on which CICS region) to trigger considering the fact that all the messages are routed to the same QM. The transaction names to trigger are also the same for both the regions. Is the CICS region names also one of the parameters in the trigger along with the transaction.
I would really appreciate if someone forwards me some documentation or links on this.

Thanks,
Manas
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manas,

check this link for MQSeries Primer

MQSeries Planning Guide

Customization and Administration

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
Mike Chantrey
Intermediate

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A terminology point:
Quote:

Suppose I have two development CICS regions under the same TSO region.

CICS does not run 'under' TSO. CICS and TSO run 'under' OS/390.
Each CICS region and each TSO user has its own 'address space' and all these address spaces run in an MVS (OS/390 etc.) LPAR. An LPAR is a Logical Partition running (in this case) a particular instance of MVS.
You can run CICS without TSO and TSO without CICS.
bob_buxton
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a full chapter on triggering in the MQ Application programming gude.

Basically one of a queue's attributes is the name of a initation queue that will receive a trigger message when the first message is put onto the application queue.

Within each CICS region there is trigger monitor application (CKTI) getting the messages from the initiation queue and starting the appropriate transaction.

Normally each CICS region would be given a different inititaion queue to monitor and so the queue definition effectively determines which CICS will process the messages.

Alternatively if it didn't matter which CICS processed the messages you could have both CICS monitoring the same initiation queue. You might want to do this for work load balancing and reliability/scalabilty reasons.
Manas Biswal
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Mike and Bob.

Regards,
Manas
Manas Biswal
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....Mike. I meant that we have two CICS regions under the same LPAR. And there is a single QM in that LPAR which both the regions connect to.
Thanks for correcting me.

Regards,
Manas
vallishar
Beginner

Topics: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this context, I also would like to know whether every queue manager is linked to the corresponding CICS region. Is it possible to have one queue manager across multiple CICS regions or multiple queue managers for the same CICS regions?

In either case, can we get to know the queue manager information within an application from CICS without passing it as a parameter?

Cheers,
Vallish
Manas Biswal
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vallishar,
MQSeries as a product runs on a particular OS/390 LPAR and you can define Qmgrs (more than one is possible) for that LPAR. Once you have defined the Qmgrs, you provide the CICS region interface for a CICS region to the Qmgr. The CKTI - trigger monitor transaction of the CICS region is configured to point to a particular Initiation queue of the queue manager.
Hence after this, when a region is brought up, it connects to the particular Qmgr which you have specified ( you probably have to define ACF2 security also for the region to connect to the Qmgr) and the trigger monitor of that region monitors the messages in the initiation queue of that qmgr that you have specified.
You can connect more than one CICS regions to the same Qmgr - each of the regions monitoring a separate initiation queue of the queue manager.

Thats what I know. Experts - Pls add/modify to what I have posted.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:

In either case, can we get to know the queue manager information within an application from CICS without passing it as a parameter?

I think that the CICS region connects to the Qmgr once the region initializes. You don't need to do a MQCONN in any of your CICS application programs. You can directly start with a MQOPEN.
Pls correct me if I am wrong.
bob_buxton
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple CICS regions can connect to a single queue manager but a CICS region can only connect to one Queue manager.

CICS transactions are not required to issue an MQCONN and so do not need to know the queue manager name.

You can determine which Queue manager a CICS is connected to by using the CKQC transaction or an application can use EXEC CICS INQUIRE EXITPROGRAM
the QUALIFIER for ENTRYNAME('MQM') is the queue manager name
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> CICS and Middleware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: