MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding JCL basics

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faqboos
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Understanding JCL basics Reply with quote

HI,
I am new to the MVS JCL environment and looking forward to working on it. Please tell me where to start and what utilities to learn. I am not even familiar with the navigation in this environment.

Kalyan
kolusu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Topics: 75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalyan,

Please post with approriate titles. A title like " new to Mvs JCl" is not good. I am editing the title to "Understanding JCL basics"

I already answered your query about navigation in the following topic.

http://www.mvsforums.com/helpboards/viewtopic.php?p=9246

Did you try to read the ISPF User's Guide ? First get used to ISPF and then you can start running jobs.

Also if you look at the top of this page , you will find a link for "Quick Manual Links"

Click on it and you will find the manuals you are looking for. This manual link will have the necessary book you need to gain knowledge in the respective area. Under JCL there are 2 books listed.

1. z/OS V1R4.0 MVS JCL Reference
2. z/OS V1R2.0 MVS JCL User's Guide

The above 2 books will give you a pretty good idea about using JCL.

As for utilities it is a good idea to have knowledge of all IBM utilites. you can learn about them here.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/dgt1u104/CCONTENTS

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Kolusu

www.linkedin.com/in/kolusu
superk
Advanced

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that knowing what your role is and how it relates to using JCL would go a long way towards providing some specific answers. As far as deciding what utilities to learn, it would be helpful to know what utilities you are already familiar with, as they work the same whether they are used in batch (JCL) or in the foreground (TSO).

Knowing the JCL standards that have been developed for your company would be a great place to start. There should be specific values for certain parameters, and most likely the standards will provide some background as to why that particular standard was adopted. Knowing the standard JCL coding practices that your company uses also goes a long way.
faqboos
Beginner

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your replies and suggestions on the subject. Actually, I have started off with ISPF. I am sure that the books on JCL would be the best help I can get.

I am looking forward to work on Teradata database on the MVS platform and would possibly be using DFSORT or SYNCSORT (is there a lot of difference ?). If you are into this, please give me a better picture of it.
Maton_Man
Beginner

Topics: 0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find a variety of utilities which fulfill the function you are after at the CBT Tape website http://www.cbttape.org
Frank Yaeger
Sort Forum Moderator
Sort Forum Moderator

Topics: 31

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalyan wrote
Quote:
I am looking forward to work on Teradata database on the MVS platform and would possibly be using DFSORT or SYNCSORT (is there a lot of difference ?). If you are into this, please give me a better picture of it.

Yes, there are differences. If you or anybody else on this board would like me to send you some documents prepared by the DFSORT Team that discuss the differences, and migration considerations, send me a note offline (yaeger@us.ibm.com). Please include "DFSORT" in your Subject line to catch my attention.

Note that you can access all of the DFSORT/ICETOOL books online from:

http://www.ibm.com/storage/software/sort/mvs/srtmpub.html

and you can find a wealth of information about DFSORT/ICETOOL (tips, tricks, Q&A, papers, etc) on the DFSORT website at:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/sort/mvs/srtmprd.html
www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Job Control Language(JCL) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: