MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why COBOL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgk
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Why COBOL? Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me why COBOL is still used when C is supported in mainframes. Whomever i ask this, they just tell me that COOBL is suitable for busineess oriented programming.But i am not convinced. Whatever we can do with COBOL can be done with C as well as something that cannot be done with COBOL can also be done with C. Then why COBOL?
I don't know whether my question is silly;but still longing to know the answer.

Thanks
Kannan
DaveyC

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C was designed for writing operating systems and is very dependent on the use of pointers. COBOL was designed for writing record oriented business programs and has very poor support for things like pointers and bit twiddling. COBOL gives the programmer better protection, array subscript checking etc.

COBOL has been the language of choice for writing business programs for decades on IBM mainframes, billions of lines of code. Most COBOL programmers are not interested in learning a language like C.

What you should be asking is why PL/1 never took off, which is similar to C but has many of the features of COBOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: