MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPOOL the JOB Log Automatically

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Other Technical Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakreg
Beginner

Topics: 26

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: SPOOL the JOB Log Automatically Reply with quote

I am trying to Submit a Job from a PC Client to a Mainframe Server using
Code:
quote site  filetype=jes
The whole JCL as such is FTP'ed and Submitted in the JES Queue. The issue I am having is I am not able to FTP back the SPOOL of the JOB Log automatically from Mainframe Server to PC Client. My knowledge from the manual is, ONLY when we trigger the JCL that resides in the Mainframe Server, we can get the SPOOL of the JOB Log automatically.

I am little bit curious to know if anyone have some way to get the SPOOL of the JOB Log automatically by FTP'ing the JCL and Submitting that in the mainframe JES Queue

All Suggestions are Welcome.
Himesh
CICS Forum Moderator
CICS Forum Moderator

Topics: 21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sakreg,

This is indeed possible. Plainly speaking, the output from the executed JCL is redirected elsewhere and is brought back to the client PC.

I am providing the reference to a good article explaining the concept. Click on the highlighted text below to access the details.

Submitting Jobs and Retrieving their Output using FTP

regards
himesh
sakreg
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Himesh for your Note.

Only after Submitting a Job using 'PUT' we come to know the Job #. As per the manual, we have to issue 'GET' to retrieve the output. My application does this in the background and the user won't see what Job number is. That is the reason I am looking for a way to retrieve the Output Automatically.
semigeezer
Supermod

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I've automated this is to use some ported Unix commands on Windows.
Basically I redirected the output of the PUT session to a file, and used grep and sed or gawk to transform that file which contains the job number into a batch or cmd file that does the GET. Then I ran that 2nd batch file in a short loop containing sleep until the output was ready.
You might be able to do simething similar using the native Windows commands (FIND, etc) but if so, I have no idea how.
You could also do it quite easily using Object Rexx on the PC (available as a free download).
sakreg
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts semigeezer.

I would go by the approach to capture the JOB# from the logfile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Other Technical Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: