MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index MVSFORUMS.com
A Community of and for MVS Professionals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Quick Manuals   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reg BUFNI and BUFND

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
munnabai
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reg BUFNI and BUFND Reply with quote

Hi,
Can any one gimme a simple example from which I can understand how the BUFNI and BUFND parameters are calculated for a VSAM datset.
I searched in the internet most of the examples given does not make me to understand the basics allocation correctly. Guide me guys...

Thanx,
Munna.
jsharon1248
Intermediate

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each BUFNx value corresponds to the number of buffers allocated for your VSAM dataset. The BUFNI are for index buffers, the BUFND are for the data buffers. Each buffer is large enough to hold 1 CI.

The default allocation for batch is 1 index buffer and 2 data buffers. For random processing, you'll want at least 1 index buffer for each index level and a handful of data buffers, probably 5 or less. For sequential processing, you'll want to load up on the data buffers, usually around 20 or 30. For skip sequential, use the 1 index buffer for each index level guideline and a high number for the data buffers, 20 or 30. You reach a point of diminishing returns, so you'll need to experiment with the buffer allocations to determine the most appropriate for each file.

There's a good presentation of this in the 'VSAM Demystified' book (2.6.13) when you follow the 'Quick Manuals' link at the top of the pages in this forum.
munnabai
Beginner

Topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank U.....sharon
expat
Intermediate

Topics: 9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For skip sequential, use the 1 index buffer for each index level guideline and a high number for the data buffers, 20 or 30.

Be very careful when allocating buffers to skip sequential processing because every time that you swap from randon to sequential and back to random, you will probably find that all of your buffers are refreshed, thus creating extra I/O within your program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MVSFORUMS.com Forum Index -> Application Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: